O n e

"Do you know how special you are?"

"Well, I'm sure that you've no idea about that. Y'know, the moment I saw you.  I instantly fell in love."

"At that very moment, I  knew that you were the one for me. . . I love you, I really love you, Emily!"

I released a deep sigh to look into the eyes of the newcomer boy. I really hated to break his heart. Or anybody's heart for that matter.

But. I'd have to.

I lifted my gaze from the new novel that I have been currently reading and looked into his dark green irises, which were filled with hope.

It's a positive thing that the library is void of any students other than Derek and Skyler, my best friend.

"Look, Derek. I'm sorry to say this, but I can't return your feelings. I'm really sorry." I finished my sentence with another sigh.

Hurt was written all over his face, after my confession.

"Why?" Derek replied in an inaudible whisper. His, now glossy eyes, were expecting some believable reasoning from my side.

Of course. How can he take rejection? After all, he's a guy who gained quick popularity, he's got a lot of friends and girls who'd love to spend time with him.

Now, here comes my pathetic excuse.

"I. . . I barely know you." I tried to make me sound believable, but the look on his face reflected that he didn't buy it. By now, he was sure that there was more to the story.

Yes. Of course. There is.

"You like somebody else, right?" Derek asked impatiently. "I've learned that you have no boyfriend, so there should be someone, or else why would you reject me. Huh?"

I mentally laughed. Like is an understatement.

And wait a minute.

I felt like Derek was so full of himself that I would have rejected him even if I didn't love anybody.

"Listen, Derek, I do not think that you need to know anything more about my personal life, so please excuse me."

I tried to sound as polite as possible.

"Oh! No, I'm sorry, Emily. I didn't mean to sound mean, but I couldn't help it. Forgive me, please."

I let out a sigh. The third one within the duration of five minutes.

"I forgive you, Derek. Just keep in mind to respect other people's decisions and emotions, whether you like it or not. Got it?"

He nodded and grinned sheepishly, "I get it, Emily. I shouldn't have pried. Anyways, lucky the guy who caught your interest. I won't lie, though. I'm a little jealous."

I let out a chuckle, "Derek, you're a nice guy. You immediately realised your mistake and apologised for it. It's a rare quality, and I appreciate it. Stay good forever, and I'll be glad to be your friend."

His eyes widened in surprise, "You. . . You'd be my friend?" He asked excitedly like a five-year old.

He reminded me of my brother when he got a chocolate.

I smiled and forwarded my hand, "Hi Derek, would you like to be my friend? Because you remind me so much of my brother, Emil."

His smile fell on hearing the word 'brother', but he quickly masked it.

"It's not fair, Emily. Brother-zoning me, already?" He brought his hand to his heart and mocked a hurt expression, "But anyways, how can I reject it? So, yeah, I'll be honored to be your friend, Ms.Heartwood."

He took my extended hand and gave it a firm shake.

"To our blooming friendship." Derek stated and raised an imaginary toast in the air, and I repeated his gesture.

For the next few minutes, we had a conversation on basic things about ourselves, and he really maintained his genuine, friendly demeanor.

The bell rang, and Derek left for his calculus class. As if on cue, Skyler stood up from her seat, which was a few feet away from mine.

Yeah. She wanted us to have some privacy.

She approached me to walk to our English class.

"Why didn't you come over when I motioned you to sit with me?" I asked Skyler as we walked side-by-side.

Skye shrugged, "Anyways, what did the hottie say?" She asked, nudging me by her elbow.

Typical Skyler Woods.

"Skye, his name is Derek." I enlightened her.

"Derick, whatever, just tell me what he said? I'm sure he proposed to you to be his girlfriend. Am I right, Em?" Excitement was dripping from her voice.

There's no hiding, Emily. Just say it.

"Yeah, he did say something of that sort." I replied in a low voice.

"Oh, come on, Emily!" She said, stomping her foot on the marble floor.

Sometimes, she can be such a baby.

"Ok, ok," I raised my arms in defeat, "Derek said those things, but I calmly gave him my answer, and in the end, we decided to remain good friends. Now, how does that sound?" I asked, blinking my eyes to annoy her.

"Of course, what else should I expect?" She mumbled to herself as her shoulders drooped down.

Skye desperately wants to set me in a relationship, but she doesn't force me, as she respects my emotions.

We reached our classroom and took seats next to each other and waited for Mrs.Hatcher.

As on cue, the door opened, and a person came in.

But.

It wasn't her.

"Oh my God, Emily! Did Vincent switch his optional subject?"

I felt her nudging my shoulder playfully while whisper-yelling something to me, but only if I could hear her. . .