Chapter Sixteen

A veil of darkness fell over the landscape. Oil lanterns ablaze. Doors to shops and houses firmly shut. Huddled beneath blankets, children had been lulled to sleep by fairytale or if they were young ladies by the promise of a gentleman caller arriving in the morning. A crescent moon and its companions, the stars taking centre stage.

A silver spotlight on Alexander as he folded up his wings and dove down. The ground and him set for a collision until at the last second, his wings unfurled. The ground rumbling beneath his talons as he landed. A cloak of leather and then he was human once more. For many supernatural creatures, their first shift was man to beast but for Alexander, it was the opposite. Though at four hundred years old, he could not recall the experience in detail.

Key in hand, he unlocked the kitchen door then locked it behind him. His intended path leading him straight to Danika's room. He placed his hand on the door handle and with a soft click, it swung open in welcome.
Danika stood by the fire, hugging her arms to herself. Aware of his presence and yet she didn't turn to greet him. Her cheeks damp with tears.

"Danika?"

Her shoulders began to shake violently. He closed all distance between them. Alexander wrapped his arms around her, his lips brushing her forehead as she sobbed against his chest. He shouldn't have left her to tell Silvio of what occurred. The idea of his mate being alone and having tears cascade down her cheeks cut him deeply.

"I am here, Danika. I am here," he murmured softly.

"No, you are here for the heir. Why else? It can't be for me, I am nobody. You need a wife who can command a room with her mere presence. Who has a charming smile and the ability to speak with ease to dignitaries and council members. I am not her, Alexander," Danika said in a completely broken voice.
"I can barely speak most of the time without stumbling over my words. I don't stand in the centre of a room, I fade into the background. You cannot truly want me when no one else does."

Her words, the scars to her heart and mind. Tears streaming down her cheeks as her gaze dropped to the ground, unable to look at him any longer.
Gently, he placed a hand under her chin, tilting her head up.
"Look at me." His voice a soft plea.
She did. Her hurt tearing at his heart.

"Is that why you left me? You thought I wanted no, I had to have another woman by my side. Danika, I don't want her. I want you. You are not a nobody to me nor just a fuck or whatever else a cruel voice has made you believe. Your stutter does not bother me in the slightest," he said, moving his hand up to stroke her cheek.

Alexander leaned his forehead against hers. His chest rapidly rising and falling. "Bloody hell, I could have lost you today and that terrified me."

His touch light on the reddish marks of her neck.
"Danika, you are it for me. There can be no one else I wish to spend my life with. I didn't agree to the bargain for the sake of our heir. I made it to get know who are you are, Danika. Today, I learned you will stand up to anyone including me in protecting what is yours. I am determined to know all."

His words pulling up the cruel roots of her negative thoughts.

"You truly do care for me," she said, her voice thick with emotion.

He responded by claiming her lips in a deep, long kiss that left her breathless.

Alexander's lips brushed hers, his hands sliding down to her waist. The flimsy fabric of her nightgown, bunched beneath his grip.

"Tell me, Danika." His voice low and husky. "Do you want me in your bed tonight or should I leave?"
His dark gaze piercing hers, holding her in place. He would release her with one word.

"Stay". Her response a heated whisper.

His mouth curved into a smile. "This time I will awaken with you in my arms."

His lips crashing down on hers and she offered nothing but utter surrender to his pillage. Danika let out a soft moan as he traverse her neck leaving soft kisses in his wake. His lips meet the neckline of her nightgown. He lifted his arms, taking her nightgown with them. Defeated, the fabric slumped to the ground.

A curl brushed against her breast and he flicked it away, wanting nothing to obscure his view. His gaze a potent caress down her body.
Her mouth a sweetness he couldn't resist for long. One hand curling around her neck, deepening the kiss as his other hand closed over her breast. Danika's breath caught as he gently squeezed the soft and supple flesh. Moulding until her nipple was a taut point beneath his touch. Where his hands went, his mouth soon followed. He knelt down. His fingers splayed across her waist, holding her to him. Touching wasn't enough, Alexander need a taste too.

Danika let out a moan as his mouth closed over one nipple. Sucking and lavishing it with attention and receiving the highest of praises in return. Satisfied by his ministrations on one, he pressed a kiss to the valley between her breast. Before kissing his way to the top and sucking her other nipple into his mouth. Her back arching under the weight of her desire causing her breast to be thrusted into his face. A delightful sight indeed.

Alexander swept her off her knees, carrying her to the bed. No shyness just feminine appreciation in her gaze as she watched his thickly corded muscles move and flex to shed the last of his clothes. The mattress sank down and then she felt his weight upon her, comforting never crushing. He reached up to stroke her cheek.

"Permit me, Danika. I will not touch you without such words."

"I give it, Alexander."

His mouth curved into a wicked smile. He slid down to lie between her legs. Spreading her legs for his viewing pleasure, Alexander let out a moan. The sound sending a delicious warmth straight to her core.

Danika gasped as she felt his finger glide through her wetness, testing the waters before diving in. At the same time, he rose up, latching onto one dusky pink nipple as he began to stroke. The flick of his tongue falling into sync with his finger. Danika cried out, her hips rolling to meet each stroke.

Suddenly, he withdrew his finger. Replacing it with the blunt tip of his cock at her entrance. Feeling Danika tense beneath him, Alexander stopped. He looked at his mate.

"Would you like me to stop?"
She shook her head.

"Danika, words please. I will not proceed without them."

"No," she breathed out. "I need you, Alexander."

His lips capturing hers in a blistering kiss as he pushed his way in, filling and stretching her. Her eyes watered at the slight burn but then he began to move. Pleasure taking the sting away. Danika's hips rolling to match his rhythm.

A dance of bodies intwining until it had to end with earth shattering pleasure. Above her, Alexander shuddered, his back bowing. Fuck!

Once he had cleaned up himself and Danika, Alexander lay back down, holding his mate on his arms. As she drifted off to sleep, he knew there was no other place he would rather be than by her side.