Chapter Eighteen

Sunlight a warm caress across the bare skin of Danika's arms. Her legs tucked up beneath her indigo dress as she sat in the garden. The pages of her book forgotten, the book itself lying on the blanket next to her. Her fingers making slow circular motions on Alexander's scales as he rested his head on her lap. A deep almost pleasurable sound vibrating in his throat as the flex of his facial muscles brought his eyes to close.

A normal woman would be scared out of her wits to be mere inches from the jaws of a dragon. Danika's expression wasn't fear but one of affection for the man and beast she had grown to...
Her fingers stilled on his scales, her mind finally catching up with her heart had been telling since their decadent afternoon a week ago.

"Alexander," she said softly. A slight stirring beneath her touch. "I must speak with you."

At her words, his wings drew tight against his shoulders. Now human, Alexander sat up. The backs of his fingers a light touch on her cheek.

"Is something the matter?" Concern evident in his voice.

"I do not wish to leave your arms. However our time together is running out. Soon, your duties to Muriel will take precedent once more and you will have no choice but to leave."

Alexander opened his mouth to deny such a thing when she spoke again.

"So, when you do leave, it will be with me by your side. Alexander, you asked me once before and I denied you. But I cannot deny it anymore." A waver in her voice." I burn for you, Alexander and only you. Whatever length of time we have in this life, I wish to spend it with you as Danika Seares."

He lunged forwards, capturing her in his arms.

"You will marry me?" A need to heard her words again gripped at him as he feared this was all a dream.

A smile touched her lips. "Yes, I will marry you."

Alexander lowered his head. His smile of delight made her heart a fluttering butterfly.  His lips sealed over hers. One hand curled around her neck as he deepened the kiss. Her back hit the blanket, Alexander falling down with her.

His mouth resting against the soft curve of her jaw as Danika reclaimed the air he stole from her lungs.

"It seems my time of fading into the background has well and truly ended," Danika said.

"The shadows were never meant to keep you nor should you stand on a pedestal in a dark room in some lord's home. No, you Danika will stand by my side." Alexander's lips teasing hers.

He just knew the right words to say to her that robbed her completely of speech.
And words failed, the next best course was to do something. She kissed him.

At the feel of her soft lips beneath his and Alexander bit back a moan. His hand reaching up to her chignon. One by one, he plucked out her hairpins until her hair was a waterfall cascading down her back. His other hand tracing along the delicate ridge of her collarbone, his mouth following in its wake. Returning to the sweetness of her lips, he hoisted her up. He carried her towards the house. Clothes discarded as Danika surrendered to the wicked touch of her intended husband.

Knock. Knock.
Silvio reluctantly untangled himself from Amelia's arms.
A letter slid under the door.

"Your mother I presume," Amelia said, propping one leg up on the crumpled sheets. Her fingers toying with one caramel curl.

"Most likely." Irritation pricking his voice.

Francesca De Medici had somehow managed to involve herself in a spat and was complaining to her second son about such matters. Why, he had no idea.
A frown marring his face as he broke the red wax seal and began to read. The words making his face pale.

"No."

Amelia leapt to her feet, rushing to his side.

"What happened?" Worry pinching her cheeks.

"Alexander wishes to marry Danika at Gretna Green in two days' time. He will arrive in London tomorrow before making the trip to Scotland," Silvio answered, his grip tightening on the paper.

Amelia's brows furrowing in confusion. "I don't understand This is good news. They are to be wed and Muriel will finally have a queen. Yet you look as if you have been slapped across the face."

She placed a hand on his forearm. "Is it your fellow council members? Would they reject Danika?"

Silvio shook his head. "No, they will accept her I am sure of it."

"Then what?"

"Mircea the Voivode of Romania will not accept any of this and I fear...Danika will pay the ultimate price for it."