Chapter 74

"It is the beginning of the end."

- Charles Maurice De Talleyrand

***

"It's starting," Hallie said looking up at the sky. She saw the flashes of light come down on top of the safety barrier, and watched as it slowly began to crumble. "Promise me something?"

"Anything," George said, standing by her side.

"Fight until the very end," Hallie nodded, with tears sparkling in her eyes. "You too Fred, and just know that whatever happens, I love you both very much."

"Battle hasn't even started and she's getting emotional, Georgey," Fred laughed. "We love you just as much Hals."

She gave out one last gentle chuckle as she believed it would be the last one she'd hear in a while and held out her hands. "Come on."

Fred and George grasped them and they began to run towards a group of fellow Dumbledore's Army members. Standing there was Cho Chang, Ginny Weasley, and Dean Thomas.

"Good luck," she said, giving Ginny a hug. "I'll see you soon."

Fred, George and Hallie began to pick up the pace in a run, as they entered the grand staircase in the main building. They watched as hundreds of students screamed, fearful for their lives, fearful for the last time they'd see each other. Teenagers, at war with themselves and with the other side of the Wizarding world. Hallie finally let go of Fred and George's hands and ran up the staircase, where she saw the barrier had been broken that had surrounded Hogwarts. Explosions began to go off as Hallie turned around and heard the screams beginning to sound more frantic and loud.

"They've got in!" Hallie said, running towards Fred and George again.

"Run!" Hallie heard a fourth year shout.

"Head towards the courtyard," Fred stated. "Now!"

As explosions began to smash the windows in the Great Hall, Hallie, George and Fred broke out into a sprint and ran towards the Courtyard. People were terrified, running from the swarm of oncoming explosions. Hallie kept turning around to see the sky igniting with Orange sparks. Screams polluted the air, and people kept bumping into each other. Hallie was ahead of Fred and George in the run, and couldn't help but feel her heart beat faster than it had a few minutes ago.

More screams deafened Hallie's ears to the point where she stopped abruptly. Around her, many people were frantic and scared. Hallie felt a sudden notion that something was coming after all of them.

Dementors.

Hallie ran towards the swarm of them, lifting out her wand.

"Hallie, NO!" George shouted, but it was too late, she had already started running towards the oncoming hoard of dementors that had been summoned. She couldn't let all of these innocent people have their souls sucked out by something so unpleasant, Hallie had to think of a powerful memory that gave her felicity.

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!" Hallie yelled, feeling every inch of the spell cascade from her heart. She could feel it, she could feels its power. The memory she had thought of had not been one she'd shared with friends, but rather a pungent desire cascading from her very soul. Hallie, as she was right now, through the battles and hardships, here she was, fighting through everything, defying odds, remembering who she was. That in itself, was powerful enough to cascade an arena full of dementors away.