Chapter Nineteen: Strange Place

Fire. All I remember is fire.

Taking over my body, coursing through my veins.

Then...it was gone, and a freezing sensation took over, coating my body.

It was wonderful, so calming and fresh.

Where was I? Who was I?

My brain kept tumbling over itself, the answers slipping past me right as they were on the tip of my tongue.

And then I woke up.

My eyes slowly opened, both unfocused and blurry. Letting out a loud yawn, I sat up slowly, and looked over to my left. That's when I realised I wasn't at home.

Dream was sitting in a chair near a door to the room, watching me with one foot tapping the ground in a rhythmic pattern.

"Jesus Christ!" I yelped, not expecting to see Dream sitting there.

"You're finally awake," He noted, leaning forward.

"Awake?" I asked confusedly, "Wait, where am I?"

"In Alyssa's house" Dream replied nonchalantly.

"Alyssa......Wait what? What the hell is going on?"

Throwing the blanket off of my legs, I move myself forward until I'm at the edge of the bed.

"Well, last night you were walking around in the forest all by yourself. I wasn't going to interact with you but then you jumped in a river and tried to drown yourself" Dream explained.

"I don't...I don't remember that" There was a small pain in my head when I tried to think.

"That makes sense, turns out you had a fever" Dream nodded.

"Oh. Yeah that probably happened" I sighed, hating how frequent my fevers were now.

"You aren't surprised? It was pretty intense for a fever" Dream's voice was emotionless, making me unsure and uncomfortable.

"Well they've been happening a lot recently" I mumble, getting up from the bed.

As soon as I stood, my legs trembled and gave out, making me begin to fall towards the ground.

My knees barely grazed the floor before I was pulled up, an arm wrapping around my waist and setting me back down on the bed.

"Like I said, it was a pretty intense fever. You shouldn't try and get up yet" Dream stated, going back to his chair.

There go those lightning fast reflexes again.

Slightly pink in the face, I nod and glance at the door next to Dream.

"Um, I appreciate your-Alyssa's hospitality," I correct myself, "And thank you for not letting me drown. But I feel like I should get going soon"

I avoid his stare while awkward silence fills the room.

"Maybe wait until you can walk on your own" Dream responded.

His emotionless, boring, answers were starting to get on my nerves. Normally he'd be making fun of me by now.

"Duh. Why aren't you taunting me, or insulting me or something" I snap quickly, not liking the silence.

"So you want me to insult you? I didn't know you were into that" Dream replied smugly, and I could hear the smile in his tone.

"Ew. Nevermind, go back to being quiet" Lifting my legs back onto the bed, I stretch each one slowly, attempting to get the blood flowing so I can leave faster.