Chpt. 8

Saturday, 6th of January, 2018

-->Ella’s Chapter <--

Happy birthday to me.

The first thought that popped into my head that morning. I got up from bed and walked to the bathroom. Brushing my teeth, I thought about how this day would go. My brother, Max, was having exams at uni, he was studying to be a doctor. My sister was in Ecuador, together  with my parents, who were visiting her.

Also, 3 of my dearest friends were not in Belgium at the moment. Katherine was in Melbourne and Naomi and Mila were both in London, enjoying their year of until next year, when they would start their year at Londen University.

I was going to join them in their apartment after my birthday, I was leaving next weekend.

Lola and Liz were still in Belgium though, they would come and celebrate together with me.

Katherine had sent me a text message with “Happy Birthday” yesterday at 2pm, because in Australia it is a day later.

I spat out the toothpaste mixed with saliva and turned the knob that started the water spilling from the shower head. Hot water was great.

After the shower, I checked my phone and saw that I had missed 3 calls. From Liz, Lola and Naomi. I decided to call them back later on and made my way downstairs.

I checked the refrigerator and noticed that if my friends would come over in 2 hours, I would need more soft drinks and maybe some champagne. You turn 18 only once right?

I put on my jacket and my brown boots and exited the house. I grabbed my bike and rode to the supermarket almost around the corner.

Hm… Lola liked lemonade the best and I figured that Liz liked it too, so I picked Fanta and a bottle of not that expensive champagne.

I payed my groceries and went back home. I unpacked  the drinks and put them in the fridge. I decided to go and check the mail.

I found a postcard from Ecuador with my mother, father and sister’s birthday wishes on it. My brother also sent a birthday card and I smiled. He added a goofy joke on it that made me laugh.

Lola and Liz arrived short after and we had a great time. Lola always knows a couple of funny moments to tell that happened in her family, and I was happy that Liz and Lola, who were studying together to be a doctor together, didn’t have any exams.

Saturday, 13th of January, 2018

7am

I exited King’s Cross station and looked around London. I saw a Nando’s at the left corner of my eyes, I saw big red double-decker busses passing and noticed that the drivers were, indeed, sitting on the other side.

Watch out, Ella. I warned myself.

“Ella!” I heard a voice shout from the right. I turned and saw Naomi standing at the traffic lights.

I ran towards her, it was a bit hard with all these bags in my hands, but I managed, and hugged her.

“Where’s Mila?” I asked, scanning the area.

“She’s doing some groceries, I was sent to come and pick you up! We have managed to get your room ready in time!” Naomi squealed and I laughed.

“The apartment isn’t too far from here, you are going to love it! It is like 2 blocks away from Oxford Street! That is-“

“I know, the shopping street.” I laughed and Naomi nodded.

“Make sure you read what the white letters on the ground say, when I first crossed a road in London, I was almost underneath a car!” She laughed and I smiled.

“Look to the right” said the white letters on the ground, so I did.

After walking for a bit, we reached a block of apartments and Naomi told me that our apartment was on the seventh floor.

“There is an elevator, right?” I checked, scanning the corridor for an elevator.

“Yes, just around the corner!” Naomi pointed towards it and I followed her finger.

We reached the seventh floor and I was greeted by a long hall with several doors leading to several apartments.

“Oh, I can imagine how excited you are! I was super excited when we arrived here. London is so beautiful! The London Eye is a must-see when it has been snowing! The Big Ben too!” Naomi kept walking until we had come by the last door on the right.

She fumbled a bit in her handbag, showing me her keys.

“We’ll get you keys tomorrow, I know a good shop at Oxford Street.” She smiled and opened the door.

“Ella!” Mila stood in the hall and ran towards me, also welcoming me in a tight embrace.

“Finally a familiar face! I really only know Naomi here, a bit weird though! We were talking about going to the uni the other day and we decided on signing up the day after tomorrow. Do you want to come as well? Year starts in October.” Mila ranted.

“Yeah, I’d love to! Could you maybe show me around a bit?” I laughed and Mila slapped her forehead.

“Of course! I totally forgot!” She opened the door behind her and I followed, Naomi opening another door and disappearing.

“So, this is my room, the room Naomi just entered is her and the door opposite her room is yours.” She exited her room and showed me mine.

“Wow! It is so big!” I clapped my hands in excitement.

“Yeah, I love this apartment too, with all my heart!” Mila smiled.

“Come on! I’ll show you your bathroom, we all have a small bathroom. You have a shower as you can see but If you would like to take a bath, you can always use mine! And the next room- we have to exit yours first- is the living room plus the dining room plus the kitchen! You might smell it…”

I sniffed the air.

No way.

“I cooked pasta seafood for you!” Mila looked quite proud of herself.

“Thank you so much! Train food really sucks” I smiled and hugged her again.

Naomi appeared again and took the seat next to me at the table for six.

Mila came back from the kitchen with a cauldron-like pot. When she opened it I almost started to wolf the pasta inside it, it smelled delicious.

“Play a good knife and fork!” Mila exclaimed, which made me and Naomi laugh.

“What? That is what they say here when they wish you a tasty meal!” She pouted but started laughing with us.

We ended up reheating the food, funny British saying keeping our minds away from the delicious Italian food.

AUTHOR NOTE

AH! I hope you like this chapter! It was a bit harder to write but I hope you stille enjoy reading it!

ALMOST 400 READS! CRAZY!!!!

Thank you all a lot! The funny thing is that these stories are based upon real people and their lives+ dreams and it really amazes me that other people who doesn't know me or my friends like to read this book!

THANK YOU AND PLEASE DONT BE A SILENT READER! Every vote on this chapter gets a dedication in the next ones  ( I ALSO REPLY TO EVERY COMMENT!)

Loads of Love and thank you all again(and sorry for this crazy long chapter note!)

Marie xx