21

2 days later Derek was sitting in Meredith's room, he was holding her hand and he was talking to her "Everything's gonna be alright Mer, just please wake up so we can see how it went.. I love you Mer"

He couldn't help but cringe at the sound of the ventilator as it breathed for his wife. He squeezed her hand a little tighter, willing for the contact to hold her fragile body together.

He didn't feel safe. It seemed that things could break, fall apart at any moment.

"Mer.. I'm gonna go get the kids, they want to see you" Derek whispered "I love you so much.." he whispered before kissing her forehead being aware of all the tubes around her body. Derek walked out of her room and watching her one last time before walking to daycare

Right after Derek left, Richard walked into Meredith's room

"It's been 2 days Meredith" he sighed "we miss you here. Your mother was right.. you're extraordinary. I have always known that" he was sitting next to her for a few minutes. I'm proud I got the chance to see you grow in life. You've become one of our best surgeons, you married a man who's perfect for you. The both of you made 3 wonderful and strong kids who are growing up in one of the most caring and lovable family's. I'm proud of you Meredith Grey, and we need you to come back. You're the one who's gonna win a Harper Avery. You're the one who's gonna solve another medical mystery"

"We need you to be careful with mommy" Derek warned the kids before entering her room "Mommy has a lot of machines around her to help her recover so don't be afraid." He told them to make sure they knew what was going on so they wouldn't be to scared

Derek walked in with the kids so Richard went outside "She's gonna be fine, Derek" he said before leaving, Derek nodded and gave Richard a sad smile.

"Is mommy asleep?" Bailey asked

"Mommy's brain needs to rest after the surgery"

"That's been 2 days, daddy" Zola said

"We can't tell how long mommy will sleep but maybe she can hear us so if you want to talk to mommy you can"

Bailey gave a kiss on Meredith's hand and took one of his comic books and sat down on one of the chairs

Zola went to Meredith on the same time as Bailey and she did the same but with Mereidth's other hand "I really really love you mommy!" She said while watching her mommy

Ellis was hiding behind Derek

"Come on Ellie, let's say hi to mommy and he carried her to Meredith's side. He sat her down very carefully next to her legs. She was too small to watch her mom from the ground.

"I miss you mommy" Ellis said

Derek scooped Ellis up and sat down on a chair with Ellis in his lap. Ellis started playing with her doll she was carrying.

"Zozo, do you wanna play with me?" Ellis asked

Zola walked over to Derek and Ellis and they started playing.

"Mommy's gonna wake up, right daddy?" Zola asked

She wasn't a baby anymore. She knew something was happening with her mom

I can't tell them there's a chance she would never wake up, I can't tell them they could lose their mom..

"Mommy is gonna wake up Zola, we just don't really know when that will be" he gave a hopeful smile to his daughter and she seems to accept it as she started playing again with Ellis and her doll.