19

The three surgeons stood around Meredith's open brain, none of them daring to say what they all knew what was true.

The tumor had infiltrated structures that weren't shown in the scans. It was completely inoperable.

"Derek.." Amelia started sadly.

"You have to say it. I'm glass half empty these days and I don't trust my own opinion, so you have to say it." Derek said as tears began forming at his waterline.

"I'm sorry Derek.. we cannot excise this tumor without leaving the brain viable. It is inoperable." Amelia said

"Can't we just.. If we cut.. or.. more chemo? We are world class surgeons, there has to be something-"

"Derek, stop. This is it." Tom said "I liked Grey.. I would have done everything that's in my power, the same for your sister.. I'm sorry Derek. "

"Amelia.. Can you close her? I need to see my kids" Derek said before running out of the room now crying

"I have no idea what he's gonna do without Mer" Amelia said tearing up

"At least they can have some more time together.. we did good to not start cutting and make even more damage. She will be able to say goodbye to her friends and family"

"I'm afraid of how she will develop.. Probably declines in her verbal and motor functions. It shouldn't infiltrate the optic nerve, but I don't expect her to be conscious and responsive very often towards the end.."

"Let's not think about that Amelia.. she has some time left with Derek and the kids"

2 weeks later

"Mer? Do you want another glass of water"

"Yes.. please" She gave him a weak smile, not really able to open her eyes due to the bad headache.

"The kids will be here in an hour. Jo made mashed potatoes with corned beef and apple sauce"

"Great.." She got annoyed by the fact she needed to eat almost liquid food. Jo made corned beef but she knew she wasn't able to eat that anymore..

"Der?"

"Yes what's wrong Mer?"

"Do you wanna lay with me please?"

"Of course"

Meredith is still receiving chemo to try to have as much time as possible with her kids, husband and friends so she stayed at the hospital. She couldn't really walk further than a few steps. Derek carried her to the bathroom and to the infusion centre. Everyday after school the kids came over to see her. All day she would use as little energy as possible so she could spend time with the kids. They did their homework in her room. Someone of their friends would cook dinner and they would all eat together in her hospital room.

A month later

Meredith laid in her hospital bed, and she was quite alone. She felt exhausted, but the pain in her head wouldn't let sleep.

She heard a knock from outside her room, and opened her eyes to see who wanted to come in. To her surprise, it was Link.

"Hey!" He said cheerfully, entering the room and looking around.

"Where's Derek and the kids?"

"They went for... a ferry ride. We promised we'd take them... when I was better... but that's not happening... so.." She struggled to speak clearly, but Link frowned, seeming to understand what she was saying.