18

I want to thank Merlucastan again for writing the most of this amazing chapter and the idea of the rest of this story. She's amazing and I absolutely love this co-writing // She has some stories on her own Wattpad account so check them out!

Tom, Amelia, and Derek's yells could be heard from the hallway outside the skills lab. Nurses and doctors alike passed by apprehensively, wondering what they could possibly be arguing about.

"So what you're saying is that your treatment plan was ineffective." Derek shouted at his sister from across the table. Amelia scoffed.

"No, I'm saying that the I.L.2 slowed the tumors growth but-"

"NO. You put her through hell and now we're rushing her into brain surgery. You're an arrogant, neurotic-"

"You've got a lot of nerve trashing ME right now. You let your sick, cancer ridden wife walk? How's that working out? Oh right... not very well seeing as she's laying in a HOSPITAL BED, INTUBATED."

"ENOUGH!" Tom yelled, getting both their attention. The room fell into an uncomfortable silence.

"This is getting us nowhere. The only thing that matters right now is forming a surgical plan so that the very sick woman you both love doesn't have noodles for brains when we're done slicing her open!" The speech was harsh, but effective.

"Now, as much as I love an episode of the Kardashians, now is not the time for sibling rivalry. So knock it off and help me save a life." Amelia picked up her instruments, but quickly dropped them again as Derek made his way around the table.

He pulled his sister into a hug, decomposing into sobs.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it. And I'm sorry I didn't take care of her before she-"

"Shhh. It's not your fault. Meredith is stubborn, you did your best." Amelia whispered as she rubbed soothing circles on her brothers back.

"She's going to be okay Derek. You have to believe it. This is Meredith Grey we're talking about."

"I know. She's so strong, I can't imagine a world without her.

"Ugh." Tom groaned impatiently.

"Of course she's going to be okay, I'm her surgeon. Hello? Tom Korasick, world renowned neurosurgeon." The two siblings rolled their eyes, pulling away and wiping away their tears.

"Can we get back to being surgeons now?" They laughed and picked up their tools again, returning to doctor mode.

"And then we'll use the bio-synthetic laser to ensure clean margins." Amelia continued the plan, scribbling on their white board.

Derek had taken a break to go see Meredith. He was determined to spend as much time as possible before her surgery.

He rounded the corner of the ICU hallway, and paused in the doorway of her room.

He smiled at the sight of her extubated and awake.

"Derek?" Meredith whispered

"Meredith!" Derek said while walking to her bedside and grasping her hand.

"What happened?" She asked

"You.. coded and it got worse, we're operating in a few hours"

"I.. I want you to bring the kids"

"It's only 6 am Mer"

"I want to say goodbye to them"

"Mer.."