17

I want to thank Merlucastan again for writing the most of this amazing chapter and the idea of the rest of this story. She's amazing and I absolutely love this co-writing // She has some stories on her own Wattpad account so check them out!

Meredith blinked her eyes sleepily, slowly adjusting to the soft morning sunlight creeping through her window.

She shifted positions in Derek's arms, and for the first time in weeks felt no pain.

She took a deep breath, realizing that her respirations no longer felt like a chore.

She almost shed tears of joy when she noticed that her head wasn't pounding.

Carefully, as to not wake Derek, she removed her IV and nasal cannula. Derek muttered something incoherent as she wiggled herself from his grip.

Placing two feet on the ground and standing, she felt overjoyed to be upright again without needing to lean on something for support.

She peered down the ICU hallway to make sure none of her friends would catch her escaping. After a final glance at her sleeping husband, she ran out of the room.

She managed to make it down the hall, into the elevator, and even to the cafeteria without being caught. Until she stood at the cash register, paying for the food she picked up.

"GREY?" Meredith cringed at the angry voice of her mentor behind her.

Derek woke up to an empty bed. He sat up quickly and began to panic.

Where could she have gone? Did something happen?

He sighed in relief as he saw her wheeled into the room, Bailey pushing the chair.

"I caught her in the cafeteria trying to make an escape." The short woman said disapprovingly. Meredith just giggled.

Derek noticed that there was something different about his wife. She smiled genuinely, no longer trying to disguise her pain.

The color had returned to her face. She looked bright, shiny, and gorgeous.

"Come here you." He said, lifting her from the wheelchair and back onto the bed. Her laughter echoed throughout the room. Oh how Derek had missed that sound.

"Here's your health food crap." She said, handing him the muesli and fruit cup she had picked out from the cafeteria.

She proceeded to stab a spoon into the ice cream she had bought, following up with a large bite of bagel.

Derek couldn't stop smiling.

After Meredith finished her "breakfast" she pulled out her phone, and pressed play on her music playlist.

"Where Does the Good Go?" Began to play. Meredith quickly rose from the bed, practically bouncing on her feet.

"Dance with me." She said to Derek. He gladly stood up, and wrapped his arms around his wife's thin waist. They began to sway back and forth, humming the lyrics.

"Look me in the eye and promise no love's like our love. Look me in the heart and unbreak broken it won't happen."

Meredith's friends and doctors had gathered outside the window, watching the scene unfold with smiles on their faces.

"Mer don't overdo it please" Derek said while enjoying the happiness his wife brings

"Derek, I won't. I feel great. It's been so long since I've felt so good"
She kissed his lips, she was enjoying his arms around her waist.