The Cluster

School was beginning to draw to a close. Classes were reviewing for finals, and soon it would be time for them to finally join the war effort. They were excited to no longer be sidelined; being forced to stand by while their friends were in danger was torturous to them, but soon they could finally help. As excited for being able to help soon as they were, a call from Garnet rendered them absolutely ecstatic.

     "Hello Stevonnie, it's Garnet. The Cluster is soon to emerge; we still have some time, you don't need to rush, but come when you can." Their hopes however were soon dashed when Garnet then told them that there is still a little longer before they can fully join the war effort, but rather it's another one off tag in. Nevertheless, Stevonnie was appreciative of the chance to help.

     As soon as classes let out, they set off to the warp. Garnet shot them a text to head for the barn. Heading quickly, they arrived soon thereafter and were given a quick briefing by the gems present.

     "Stevonnie; as you know, the cluster is due to emerge soon as your bubble is no longer holding it. However, nobody knows how you were able to bubble such a large entity, as by all accounts it should have been impossible for even you. As such, you are going on to help Biggs Jasper here, who will be doing the actual bubbling. Off you to go now." They loaded into the  drill and took off.

     On the way down Stevonnie began musing to themself for a while. "There's something I don't quite get."

     "What's up Steven?"

     "The cluster, it did most of the bubbling themselves, so I don't get why the bubble would break. In fact, I never fixed the bubble after the wedding; it should have been all them."

     "That's a fait point. Maybe somehow they got through it last time?"

     "I don't see how."

    "We'll find out soon enough"

     Eventually realizing someone else was in the drill with them, they began to make chat with Biggs.

     "So... Bismuth mentioned you to me before... were you all good friends during the war?"

     "Well we were pretty close in the first gem war, but in Era 3... I guess she just had other things she was doing. I only wish I got to catch up with her more before..."

     "What happened?"

     "She was captured in the last raid. Almost certainly done for already. I can't sand to think of it."

     On that awkward note, the conversation came to a close until they arrived.

    "So then." Began Biggs, "How do we start?"

    "Well I need to check some things first." Stevonnie looked out the window at the cluster, but to their surprise, there was still a bubble. In effort to investigate further they went to use a Rose's water vial. Pouring it over their face, their powers kicked in and their body hit the floor as they entered the physic link to the cluster. Steven and Connie stood next to each other

     "Out"

     "Help"

     "Fight"

     The cluster began speaking in chants, and bubbles shards began popping.

     "What's going on, why are you forming?" Steven called out.

     An echoey voice came back, sounding like Steven and Connie

     "I want to help in the war."

     "I can't just leave them out there"

     "I've got to do something"

     "I can't believe they are just sidelining me."

     "Steven the cluster is reacting to our thoughts."

     "Cluster! Thank you but we don't need your help, Garnet knows what she is doing."

     The cluster began echoing in Steven's voice

     "WHY IS SHE LYING TO ME"

     "SHE DOESNT WANT ME"

     "SHE THINKS I CANT TAKE CARR OF MYSELF"

     Before they had a response, they got pulled from the link as their power wore off. Stevonnie was laying down on the ship, a little tired. "Steven is that really how you feel about Garnet?"

      "No! Well yes. She is hiding something, but it's for everyone's safety. I know that, she is just trying to give us the best possible chance of success. But it still kinda hurts."

     While Steven and Connie lamented on their relationship with Garnet, Biggs noted some observations to them. "The bubble seemed to be breaking when you did whatever you just did. You probably shouldn't do it again."

     "I know what I'm doing"

      "I think the cluster is only mimicking our thoughts while our powers are active. But what I don't get is this; why send us here if trying to fix it would make it worse."

     "I don't know that, but I know what we need to do."

     Stevonnie pulled out there phone and dialed Garnet. Stevonnie was first to speak. "Garnet we need to talk. Are you really just trying to help, or is there some other reason for keeping me out?"

     "I'm just trying to give us the best chance. You need to be alive for a major thing soon to happen, otherwise there is no hope. As such, I need to do everything I can to keep you alive. That means keeping you out of it for now."

     " But if it was just about giving us the best chance, why send me to the cluster knowing I would make it worse."

     "Because having a lower chance of success ment being more likely to succeed. I know that confusing, let me explain. Homeworld has Sapphires who can see the most likely outcome. Therefore, we want the most likely outcome to not be the one where we have the best chance of winning. As such, intentionally making this outcome less likely to work ment Homeworld couldn't see it coming and therefore make it more likely to work."

     After a moment of thinking what was said through, Stevonnie accepted the response. Using another bottle, Stevonnie went back to fix what she had done.

     "Cluster, it's ok, I have everything under control." Steven stated to the shards. "Just stop, wait, hold" The cluster began repeating those words and bubbling itself again. Leaving the connection, Stevonnie signaled for them to leave began to head home. She wouldn't have any time to study tonight, but hopefully she would before finals next week.