~T h i r t y - f i v e~

Only one chapter because this book is slowly coming to an end and I need a little more time for the ending. But ignore me and read this cute chapter!

Amara POV

I woke up with a smile on my face from the night before, but my smile quickly disappeared as I clutched my ribs. They were throbbing like a mother trucker and it felt like the air was being pulled out of my lungs. I almost considered calling out to the boys, specifically Hayden, but I decided against it.

Is that what he is now? My father? What do I even call him? My step-father? It's not like my father is gone, but Hayden is my new guardian. It'd be weird to call him Hayden all the time like I'm his friend or something.

Pushing the thought out of my head, I forced myself up, desperate to find some painkillers. I really could ask the boys for some help but then they would probably just see me as needy. I don't want to burden them with my stupid problems anyways.

Groaning and holding my ribs so they didn't move around to much, I changed into an outfit for the day and did my business in the bathroom. I had completely forgotten about the wrap that was still on my ribs, which was probably the cause of my pain. I don't know much about medicine but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to sleep in something that could restrict your breathing. But then again no one said anything about it.

My outfit consisted of my comfiest clothes, a sweatshirt and a pair of leggings. They are probably going to think I'm lazy--my mom always did--but I couldn't bring myself to care very much, giving the pain that I was in.

I forced myself to venture out of my room and wasn't surprised when I saw all of the boys already awake. It seemed like they were early risers and it wasn't even ten o'clock yet.

My new guardian was making smoothies, Hudson was making French toast, and it looked like Greyson was buttering toast. He was shirtless and I'm not going to lie it's the first time I've really noticed how attractive he is. Feeling the heat rise to my cheeks, I forced my eyes away to see Hudson looking at me weirdly.

"Goodmorning sweetheart, how did you sleep?" Hayden asked, seeing me for the first time. It made me feel cared about when he called me sweetheart, but I was scared to enjoy it, in case it suddenly stops.

Remembering what I was doing, I decided to just ask them where the painkillers were since this was their house and I have no clue where everything is.

"I s-slept good. Um...where....where are the painkillers?" I couldn't meet their eyes just in case they didn't want me asking for painkillers. I never had to ask my parents because I made sure I kept some in my room. I never knew when I would need them.

I was met with silence.

I could feel the tension in the room increase and I am now realizing I shouldn't have asked. Bad Amara. You are supposed to deal with it. Not act like a child in front of them.

"Uh...sorry....n-nevermind" I tried, hoping I wasn't going to get yelled at.

"No-no-no, sweetheart its okay, we are just a bit confused. What do you need the painkillers for?" Hudson replied, making me feel like I wanted to cry. They've already forgotten about your ribs, so should you. They clearly don't think it's a big deal.

"It...It's just. Well- my ribs" I ended up blurting out, cursing my nervousness. I just have to understand that they don't want to hurt me, no matter what my subconscious tries to tell me.

I finally looked up to see the recognition pass through their faces. They had all paused what they were doing and were just staring at me, making me more nervous.

"Shit baby we are so sorry. We got caught up with the park and then the movie night that we completely forgot about your ribs." Hayden tried to apologize. He looked like he was going to fall apart any minute.

"It's fine-I'm sorry, I shouldn't h-have asked." My nervous habits were taking over my body and I felt like running out of the room.

"No sweetheart don't think that at all. We want you to come to us anytime you need or want something. Especially if it's something like pain. This is our fault. As your guardians, we needed to remember that you should be on a strict painkiller schedule with lots of rest and heat. How bad is the pain right now?" Hudson said, looking remorseful. But before I could reply, the other brother intervened.

"Please forgive us Amara, we can't begin to imagine how this looks. We just got custody of you and we are already letting you suffer on account of our stupidity. It's all my fault." The last parts sounded like he was talking to himself more than me, but it still made my heart ache. I felt extremely guilty. If I wouldn't have brought it up, they wouldn't be beating themselves up about it. This was all my fault, not theirs.

"No really-" I was interrupted.

"Can you ever forgive us?" He pleaded, walking over to me with sad eyes. "Please just give us a second chance, I promise you we will do better-" This time I interrupted him my wrapping my arms around him for a hug. He seemed stunned because he didn't hug me back at first, but when he did, I could almost feel his guilt.

My emotions were all over the place and seeing my dad almost in tears begging me to forgive him made me ignore all of my doubts and set my own emotions aside. He needed my reassurance for once and I was honestly happy to give it to him.

I ignored the pain in my ribs as he wrapped his arms around me, nearly squeezing the life out of me. I had never had a hug filled with so much love in my life and it made me want to sob my eyes out.

"I forgive you"

"You are the best daughter I could have ever asked for"

Ok guys let me just point out real quick: the fact that Amara, who hates physical contact, hugged Hayden, shows amazing progress. WASNT IT SO CUTE??

Love yall!