chapter 48

*5 months later*
My husband and i moved into our new home after the white wedding and i finally got an opportunity to explore my interior design passion. I'm finally done with redesigning my kitchen. We have decided to put the housewarming idea on hold until pur tiny pumpkin is born. Speaking of which, my baby is growing and healthy, although i dont like what this pregnancy has done to my image, i no longer wear heels to work because of my swollen feet, everything on my face is just huge, my skin isnt as clear and flawless as it was before.

Work has been okay, Nhlaka is still a good friend. Things between my husband and i have been okay, just okay. Since the new year started, he has been overly busy with work, his excuse is that this year they've selected more graduates for the programme as compared to previous years so he has a bigger responsibility. We barely spend time together, he's just so distant and for my pumkin's health I've decided to avoid all this and focus on delivering a healthy baby.

He used to have an input on my home design ideas but lately he just tells me to go ahead and do what i think would work, I havent told anyone about the tension between my husband and i because a part of me is hoping that he'll come around. We were supposed to get started on designing pumpkin's bedroom this weekend. We agreed that we dont want to find out our baby's gender until birth.

"Earth to Zinhle" I'm brought out of my thoughts when Nhlaka snaps his fingers in front of my face. I look up at him "Penny for a thought?" He asks while pulling a chair. "It's just work nothing much really" i lie, well i honestly dont find it appropriate to discuss my marital problems with him, mainly because him and I were once a thing.

He stares at me intensely "think about it as you venting out to a friend" he says, as if he was reading my thoughts. I start letting him in on what has been going on in my marriage, the more i open up about it is the more i realise how much this has been weighing down on me emotionally. Nhlaka sits there and just listens, he doesnt say a word, he simply just listens, which i truly appreciate. I hate people that pity me, thats why i barely ever open up, because people feel sorry for you or even feel the need to give you advice.

After sometime he stands and walks to my side of the desk, helps me up then pulls me into a hug, for the first time in a while i actually let it all out, I'm a newly wed, i should be having the time of my life, i mean I'm only in my mid 20s yet already my marriage has problems. I cry until i just cannot cry anymore. Nhlaka hands me a box of tissues then he walks us to the couch in my office.

We sit like that for a while until i clear my throat "I'm sorry for ruining your shirt" he smiles lightly "theres no need to apologize" he stands as well, then just like that he walks out. I've actually gotten used to his weirdness.

I sit back on my chair and continue with work, lately I'd rather work until late than go home to that big house only to spend hours all on my own. Its 19h00, Nhlaka walks into my office "it's late Mrs Mazibuko, you should get going now" i smile lightly. "You're in no state to drive, I'll drive behind you until you get home so that i can ensure that you arrive home in one piece" he says while packing my bags for me, we walk out with him telling me about how he isnt looking forward to his house since his whole family came over for the week.

As promised he drives behind me until i get home then he turns back,i drive in and notice that the lights are on meaning today he decided to come home early. I take out my bags from the passenger's seat then walk in, i find him the kitchen. "Hi" i greet and i dont even wait for a response, i walk upstairs. After my shower i change into a nightdress then get into the covers. Since today i dont feel like TV, i decide to read a book. I'm currently reading the alchemist by Paulo Coelho,one of my favourite authors.

While reading my book, he walks in and puts a tray beside me, "dinner for 2?" He smiles nervously, i nodd then smile back, he hands me the food then we dig in, there's silence, comfortable silence. After eating i attempt to stand up to go and downstairs but he offers to take the dishes.

While he is downstairs his phone rings, the caller ID is written "Vannessa" I'm contemplating whether or not to answer it, i decide to answer it "hello" *silence* "hello" then just like that the person on the other end hung up.

But i cannot put this thought to sleep, who is this Vannessa? And why is she calling my husband at 20h00 in the evening. I decide to go through his phone to find out, because if i dont do this, then my brain will explode!

His phone doesnt have a security lock, i go through his messages and this Vannessa chick is first on the list. But their conversations are one sided, Vannessa is sending all the text messages , messages like " dont bring lunch today" and "are you in your office?" But my husband does not reply to any of the messages. So i decide to check the call logs and this proves my suspicion, he responds via phone call to all the text messages.

So my husband is having an affair, i dont know how to take this, i decide to leave the messages from vannessa open, i take my pillow, a blanket and my phone then head to the guest bedroom. I lock the door then cry myself to sleep, 5 months into it then this happens? I guess happy endings are just meant for fairytales.

*next morning*
My alarm sounds, i get up, open the windows, make the bed, take a shower then head back to our bedroom. I head straight to the closet, i can hear the shower running meaning he's in there, i get dressed in a free flowing dress with a pair of semi flat sandals, i tie my faux locs into a high bun.

As i walk out of the closet, he was about to lotion "babe" he speaks, i look at him blankly, "can we talk?, please" he says walking towards me, I grab a luggage bag then walk back to the closet, i pack a few of my clothes. "Baby please i can explain, if only you could just hear me out"

After packing i go back into the bedroom. "Listen Phenyo, we'll talk, I'll give you a chance to explain, just not now, pumpkin's health is most important to me and I'm trying by all means to avoid any stress" i say, well we call my baby tiny pumpkin because of his/her weight, according to the doctors, my baby is big but we according to the sonogram all we see is something as tiny as a bean hence why we call my baby Tiny pumpkin. Stress can lead to high blood pressure which can affect my baby during delivery as he's/she's  already big this might distress him/her.

He goes down on one need "baby please dont leave, I'll fix this, just please dont go, let me explain, give me some time please my love" I'm in tears now, he promised, he promised to never break my heart. I look at him and my heart shutters even more. I grab my luggage bag,my laptop bag and my handbag then i walk out with him following after me. Truth is, i dont even know where i am going to live, but as long as its away from him and his family. I'll figure that out after work, i drive out of the yard and head to my workplace.