chapter 36

It's been a month since Phenyo and i got engaged, his family came the weekend after his birthday to pay lobola and I'm glad my uncles didnt give them a tough time. They paid lobola and this coming weekend we are going to KZN bergville where i will be introduced to the ancestors and there will be a gifting ceremony where my family will bring gifts for the Mazibuko's. I last saw my hubby last week and to be quite honest i miss him, lately I'm too needy, i hate the distance between us.

Since Phenyo is working at the KZN branch, i applied for a post available in an auditing firm in durban,that way i can move in with him. Today is Thursday, I'm heading to KZN with my family tomorrow morning, we booked a guest house and literally every member of my family is coming with, so my dad had to buy plane tickets for almost the whole family.

Today after work I'm going to fetch my dress which I'll be wearing on saturday,it's a tight fitting urban zulu print , off the shoulder dress,the most dominant colour is red, my mother's side of the family agreed on wearing swazi print attires, same material but different designs since my mum's side of the family are swatis and my dad's family obviously chose to wear their zulu traditional attires.

Its knock off time and I'm driving to Nthabi's warehouse,my dress designer. I got there and the store is closed, i guess I'm late, but when i check the time its 17h00 and we agreed that I'd be here at 17h15. I'm panicking. I go back into my car and decide to call my hubby. "Babe" he picks up on the third ring. "Phenyo, Nthabi isn't open today and i was supposed to fetch my dress for saturday, what will i wear?, what will your family think of me?, maybe we should cancel maybe we..." I'm crying now which has been happening quite a lot since we started preparing for this day. He cuts me off "relax babe, she sent us both emails saying that she delivered the dress at your sister's place since she has a wedding to decorate this weekend and she had to leave sooner than expected" i let out a sigh of relief "alright thank you babe" he chuckles a bit "where would you be without me, babe please relax, everything will be fine and my family should be the least of your worries, i love you maMvuleni wam, I'll call you as soon as i knock off okay? I love you" he's so sweet "i love you more mwelase wam" then we end the call.

*friday morning*
I'm woken up by people singing and ululating. My sisters and i packed everything last night and apparently some of my male cousins decided that that'd drive instead of taking a flight so that means they'll come with most of the bags. I got up and since we are at my mum's house in Soweto, there's no ensuite so i take my toiletry bag and head to the bathroom,my cousins, uncles, aunts, nieces nephews, everyone is moving around the house they all congratulate me but I'm just trying to get to the bathroom.

After my shower i get dressed in a 3 quarter summer dress and a doek over my hair, i bought a bob 8 inch brazilian lace weave which I'll probably only wear tomorrow. My cousin, Thando is a make up artist and so she's the one who'll prep my face. I only have 4 bridesmaids, well tomorrow is technically a traditional wedding vibe. My bridesmaids are Mpumi ofcause, my cousin Thando the make up artist, Buhle my other cousin and Ayanda, Thengi's oldest daughter she's 18 years old. They'll all be dressed in zulu traditional attire with white skirts since according to my dad I'm still a virgin because I'm marrying my first.

Also Phenyo had to pay for "deflowering" and his family was shocked to find out that i was a virgin.  We are ready to go its 11h00 our flight leaves at 13h00 so we sit and eat before driving off to the airport. We board the plane. At 2 oclock we land and head to this big guest house. I decide to find a room and sleep, I'm jetlagged but as i was about to drift off to lalaland my phone rings arggh i dont even bother to check the caller ID.

"Hmmmm" i say out of frustration, "hey Chomie, sorry for waking you up, its Phelo" oh bad Timing, "hey chomie, are you good?" He chuckles a bit,he doesnt sound like his bubbly self though "I'm good chomie you know me, Congratulations friend!" He tries to be himself but no something is just not right, i know we havent spoken in a really long time but i can feel it. "Chomiza whats wrong?" He sighs "I miss you chomie, it saddens me that i got to find out about your wedding from Mpumi" he keeps quiet, i dont even know what to say so i also keep quiet.

"Anyway, i broke up with Jade,the guy from cape town, I'm sorry that i allowed a guy to break our friendship, enjoy your big day chomie" now i feel bad "alright chomie thank you" we end the call.

Well this isnt really a wedding it's a traditional ceremony hence why i didnt invite everyone close to me. Tasha and Justin will come through tomorrow morning and I'm so happy, i truly miss Jess, she's a big preschool girl now.

Phenyo video called while i was asleep so i decided to just get up since no one wants to see me sleeping today. My cousins and Mpumi came to my room and we just chilled until it was dinner time. We had a braai then after dinner people started drinking and dancing so i sneaked to my bedroom to rest a bit.

I think an hour into my sleep, Phenyo calls again, i guess i clearly wont sleep tonight...