chapter 40

*a month later*
I've signed my contract with JC auditing, officially moved to durban after serving my 2 weeks notice with M&S. I've been in durban for 2 weeks now and since I'm only starting my new job tomorrow, the past 2 weeks have been a bliss. My husband even suggested that i just become a housewife because he has been enjoying having me around, my routine for the past 2 weeks was to wake up before my husband, prepare his clothes, make breakfast for him, prepare a warm bath just before he walks up then while he takes a bath, i tidy up around our bedroom then once he's all ready for work, i serve him breakfast.

I used to occassionally bring him lunch at work and I'd show up unannounced. I feel like the past 2 weeks have really drawn us closer as a newly married couple, I'm honestly enjoying this 'honeymoon phase' i sure hope it lasts longer.

I'm alone at home, my husband is off to work, its a Tuesday today. You're probably wondering how the wedding preparations are coming along? Well its a nightmare, I'm literally just a bystander, i am expected to agree with everything Phelo suggests, this has basically turned into his dream wedding, there was a huge fuss around the fact that i chose rose gold and white instead of all the colours that he suggested. My husband isnt pleased with this and told me that if i dont address my concerns with Phelo then he will do it for me and it might not be nice.

I barely ever have anything to do here besides watching tv, reading magazines and novels or just looking up cute wedding ideas. Since it's almost my hubby's knock off time, i decided to get started on preparing dinner,well Phenyo is a huge fan of my cooking, i dont know if its because he loves me so much that he would feel bad for criticizing my cooking but my sisters always complained that i cook bland food thats why recently i went to this idian spice shop around here and bought a few spices to try out.

I decide to prepare fall of the bone leg of lamb, reduced in red wine,with a side of creamy mashed potatoes and boiled asparagus. It scares me how relaxed i am about my first day of work. When i think back to how nervous and excited i was about my first day at M&S, today is honestly nothing like that.

"maMvuleni" hubby is home, he comes over to my side of the kitchen counter and wraps is arms around me then kisses my cheek, "how are you?,how was your day?" He asks "ngiyaphila mina(I'm good), but you dont look too good, how was work?" He sighs before undoing his tie and walking over to take a seat on the high chair. "Its hectic, we are still looking for a replacement for you and it's difficult finding someone competible for the job" he looks really exhausted shame, as for the issue they're faced with, i have nothing to say honestly. "How about i dish up for you while you go upstairs and freshen up" he smiles faintly "where would i be without you"

The rest of the evening went well, although after dinner, Phenyo headed straight to bed. I feel like there's something else on his mind besides the replacement issue.

*Tuesday morning*
I woke up and prepared for my husband as usual thereafter i got ready for work. Since first impression lasts, i want to look as professional as possible so i wear a knee length black pencil skirt, a white blouse and black block heel sandles, i tied my hair into a low bun and added clip-ons to add a bit more volume to the bun. Walking out of the closet my husband stops what he's doing and glances at me "isn't that skirt a bit too much for work?" And here i was thinking that he is about to complement me. "What do you mean Phenyo?, I mean its black and its knee length so whats 'too much' about it?" He is upset but tries to control himself, usually when he's upset he grinds his teeth. "Just change into something less revealing please" he says this with a bit more exclamation in his tone, one thing about my husband, he never raises his voice at me.

I just grab my hand bag and my laptop bag then walk out, I'm really not about to let him ruin my first day at work. I got to the office building just on time, it's 8 o'clock on the dot. I walk in to reception and I'm led to the HR person that will induct me before i get started on the day's work. "Good morning Ms Mnisi, welcome to JC auditing, my name is Clara, i work for JC HR and i will be taking you on a tour of the building before showing you to your office, please come with me"

I follow behind this beautiful white lady. I must say, this firm is big and i feel like I'm taking a much greater responsibility as compared to one that i had back at M&S. But it's good for my CV. "Lastly, there's a request from the CEO, he would like to meet you and to personally show you to your new office" thats odd, and it has just dawned to me that i know nothing about their CEO because the website still shows the former Mr Johnson but apparently there's a new CEO in town.

Clara leads the way to the CEO's office, the door boldly reads "DR N Mabaso" below that it reads "Chief executive officer" Clara knocks lightly before a bold voice commands us in, when the door swings open, i couldn't believe my eyes...