Chapter 14:

My Mum rushed in my room one month later as panic struck the whole household. It’s funny you know, how one thing can change your life, how it can change your perspective in what’s right and wrong. That’s the strangest part about living; once you think that everything is turning out exactly how you wanted, you discover a new situation you are faced with…and the sad part is you can’t do anything to change what’s done.

“Granddad! Granddad!” I ran.

 “How’s my little girl!? How old are you now?” A fairly large man laughed with his silver moustache as he opened his arms to welcome us.

“Seven!” I giggled with delight.

“You’re very old now like a dinosaur! You’re an Amber-saurus!” He loudly roared.

“Granddad I’m not a dinosaur! I’m a tomato!”

“Well! You are quite red today, are you alright dear?”

“I think so...” I shuffled my feet.

“Granddad how come Daddy has Mummy and Uncle Bobby has Auntie Sarah?”

He gave me a questioning look.

“Granddad needs Grandma, but I don’t see her and she’s not here and you must be feeling lonely!” I smiled.

“Is that so? Well let me tell you a story, come here sit on my lap and I’ll tell you all about it!” He chuckled.

 I paused for a moment in confusion. “…Has she got a really long shopping list that because there’s so many things she’s taking a long time to get here!?”

My Granddad clapped his hands whilst squinting his eyes in laughter.

“No deary! You know, Grandma used to sit right here not too long ago, but sadly our little angel wasn’t here yet! You were still in your journey to us from the storks!”

“Really? Woaah!” My mouth dropped to the shape of an O.

“Indeed, okay now and listen carefully to what Granddad has to say alright?”

“Okay!” I cheerfully replied.

“Once upon a time there was a beautiful lady called Melanie with long wavy hair and the brownest eyes just like yours! Granddad saw Melanie and immediately fell in love with her. Each day they found more and more reasons why they should be together, one being the amazing pasta she used to make for my fat tummy! Melanie and Granddad got married and were the happiest as can be. They hugged and kissed and soon your Mummy was brought to them! They had a family.”

I giggled. “I love this story already!”

“I’m glad you do! Haha… Now settle down. Granddad and Melanie grew older every year and soon Melanie wasn’t feeling very well.”

“Why not Granddad?” I frowned.

“She was very poorly and the Doctor’s told her to stay in bed. Grandma Melanie was very pale and sickly, but Granddad still loved her with all his heart and kissed her whenever he got the chance. They still laughed, they still acted like the two people they were many years ago. Nothing stopped them from loving each other with all that they’ve got.”

The corners of my mouth stretched from side to side as I waited for more.

“Well, Granddad woke up one morning to see Grandma Melanie, but something was different… At first, he was sad that she was gone, but then he realised that she was taken by the angels and Granddad was happy again. Even if she’s far away up in the heavens, Granddad knew that because of the bond they shared together, Grandma would always watch over him. And Grandma still is. So, don’t think that your old man is lonely. Grandma’s always there with him! You can’t see her, you can’t hear her, but she’s there. “

“So if I wave at the sky Grandma can see me?” My eyes grew bigger.

“Yes she can. Just think of her as one of those stars in the sky… She’s always there.” He comfortingly grinned.

My arms frantically swayed from side to side as I excitedly spoke.

“I’m waving Granddad, I’m waving!! HI GRANDMA! I WANT TO TRY YOUR PASTA AND BE FAT LIKE GRANDDAD!”

“Ahahaha! Yes Melanie! We miss you!” he sniggered.

I smiled at my Grandfather and saw his cheeks glow with joy. He turned back to me and ruffled my hair as I scrunched my nose.

“Little Amber, that’s what I want to share with you. Love has no boundaries. There’s always a way if two people truly mean it. No matter what the distance, no matter how many bumps there are on the road, love will suffice. And if it is really meant to be, then it will be. Remember that.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A hand flew over the front of my face as I jolted in shock.

“Are you okay Amber?” he slightly laughed.

I shook my head. “Yeah, I just doze off a bit…”

He tucked my hair behind my ear as he softly kissed my forehead, sending me butterflies all over.

My cheeks grew red.                                                            

“You’re like a tomato.” The boy chuckled.

I smiled to myself.

“Let’s take you home Ambs, it’s getting dark.” Niall held out his hand as I placed mine on top. We walked down the route to my house as the sun’s light, colours of orange and yellow surrounding us, began to quietly disappear into the horizon.

I stared at his face from the side and failed to take my eyes off him. He sensed this.

“Wait 2 seconds.” He said as we stopped.

Niall turned to me, leaned in forward as he slowly kissed me on the cheek.

“What was that for?!” I beamed afterwards.

“Nothing” He said whilst rubbing the back of his neck. “I just feel like kissing you whenever I get the chance to.”

“You’re amazing.” I blushed.

“And I’m good looking.” He smirked as he put his arm around my shoulder.

“Yeah, you ruined the moment again idiot.” I playfully smacked his stomach.

“But you love me even if I do annoy you.” He winked.

“I’ll give you that.” I whispered loudly enough for him to hear me.

He grinned.

Niall’s hand squeezed mine lightly as we continued to walk through the  silent streets of Mullingar.

You all must hate me for not updating! School is driving me mad, but hopefully over the Christmas break I can update more! I’ve just realised how fast paced this story is and I thought I’d slow it down. Hopefully I still have readers even if I’m a horrible updater! I love you all so much and please comment, vote and favourite or whatever. You guys are still amazing. Don’t hate me!!

xxx

J

P.S. This is dedicated to AnnaKing because she's awesome! :D