We Danced, Steve Rogers

This is a small break that I'm taking from the Maribat fandom to focus on the Marivel fandom. This is also a challenge issued to me by my sister. I have 24 hours to write a one shot song fic for any fandom of my choice as long as it includes one of the classic oldie but goodie country music love songs (Basically anything before the 2000's. I might do a second one if I have time). And so I now without further ado give to you 'We Danced' by Brad Paisley which is to a (possibly) new ship Steve Rogers x Marinette Dupain-Cheng.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The bar was empty

Steve didn't know how he got talked into another one of Tony's parties, but here he was once again on a stool by the bar drinking a glass of water since Thor had broken out the Asgardian ale. He tried it once to be nice and swore never again.

I was sweeping up the floor

He sighed into his drink as he watched several couples dance out on the floor. Sure he had gone back to the past and got that dance with Peggy, but she forced him back to the future shortly after saying that the 1940's was no longer his time and how his team needed him. 

That's when she walked in
I said, I'm sorry but we're closed

A young woman with black almost blue hair and the most alluring Bluebell eyes he'd ever seen looked a bit distressed like she was looking for something. She walked over to the bar. "Everything alright miss?" He asked

And she said "I know,
But I'm afraid I left my purse

"I'm sorry I misplaced my purse I have a meeting to get to tomorrow morning" She told him as she searched for her missing purse.

I said, I put one back behind the bar

I bet it's probably yours

And the next thing that I knew

There we were, lost in conversation

"What did it look like?" Steve asked, "I found three purses earlier one might be yours"

"Red with black in a ladybug pattern" She told him

He went back behind the bar finding the purse with ease. But he decided to stall by talking to her to get to know this young woman. He found out that her name was Marrinette Dupain-Cheng. A fashion designer who'd been dragged to this event by her friend, Chloe. It surprised Steve as he looked at her sketch book there was an Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and X-Men clotheslines for both Males and Females. He liked talking with her and wished to get to know her better.

And before I handed her her purse
I said, You'll only get this back on one condition"

And we danced

He brought out her purse. "I'll tell you what you get purse back if you do one thing with me" Steve said as he eyed the nearly empty dance floor.

"And what would that be?" Marinette asked

"Would you like to dance with me?" Steve asked with a small grin.

Marrinette returned it as she nodded. He lead her out onto the dance floor and they just gently swayed to the music.

Out there on that empty hardwood floor
The chairs up and the lights turned way down low
The music played, we held each other close
And we danced

Steve had never felt so happy as he danced with her on the floor. Tony gave him a thumbs up as he danced with Marinette. Marinette on the other hand spotted Chloe who just gave her a proud look from were she was dancing. When she had to leave she and Steve exchanged phone numbers to keep in touch. Steve even gladly gave her back her purse once they finished dancing.

And from that moment
There was never any doubt
I had found the one

That I had always dreamed about

The two kept in contact after the party. Meeting whenever the two had time off from their jobs. Steve had long since gotten over Peggy, instead focusing his efforts on his relationship with Marinette or Mari as he'd taken to calling her. And unlike Peggy, she actually felt like the one that his mother would always tell him about.

And then one evenin'
When she stopped by after work
I pulled a diamond ring out of the pocket of my shirt
And as her eyes filled up with tears

After they knew each other for three years, and dating for two of those years. Steve finally asked Chloe to help him with something for Marinette. He planned on proposing to her. He'd gone to Paris to talk to her parents and her brother in everything but blood, Nino, about marrying her. He'd meet them a year into their relationship and would admit that Tom terrified him because of how large this man was and he wasn't even exposed to Gamma Radiation like Banner was to the best of Steve's knowledge.   He got their permission quite enthusiastically which ruffled him a bit, but he understood why they were this excited knowing what Mari had told him about her school years was quite true (He'd arrested Lila at a HYDRA base a year ago as she was aiding them).

So a week after he visited Paris he took her out to dinner and proposed to her in the sunset on the Brooklyn Pier.

She said, this is the last thing I expected

And then she took me by the hand
And said, I'll only marry you on one condition

And we danced

The she just smiled at him. She took his hand pulling him to his feet. "On one condition Steve" She smiled

"And that would be?" Steve nervously asked.

"Would you like to dance with me" She smiled.

Steve smiled as she asked that question that he'd asked her three years ago. "Yes" He said smiling widely before taking her hand as they danced to the sound of the crashing waves and the cries of seagulls.

Out there on that empty hardwood floor

The chairs up and the lights turned way down low
The music played, we held each other close
And we danced

Like no one else had ever danced before
I can't explain what happened on that floor
But the music played
We held each other close
And we danced
Yeah, we danced

Steve slipped the ring onto her finger as they danced on the pier. "I love you my star" He sighed as he pulled her close.

"I love you to my Solider" Mari told him before kissing him as the light of the sunset faded and stars twinkled into existence.

And there they stood just kissing as the man out of time finally found the one he'd spend the rest of time with.