TWØ

It's raining cats and dogs. That's what Josh's mom would say. The boy chuckles to himself, standing in the high school entrance so as to not get soaked. He doesn't know where this expression comes from, and clearly he doesn't care, but he had always found it funny. Also, a world where it rained actual cats would probably be called heaven in his mind. And when he was a kid, he would ask his mom why she was being mean to him, because it wasn't true, "it's not really raining cats, mom!".

But his mom wasn't there, right now. She should, though. She should be there to pick him up, just like every thursday. Especially this thursday, considering the downpour. But it was getting late already, and Josh was starting to wonder if he didn't hear her say something about not being able to pick him up this morning. Impatient, he checked his phone - no new messages- at the same moment two other students came to the door.

Their conversation died down just as they approached him, and Josh didn't even have to look up to know who one of them was. He always recognized her at her scent. She was still wearing that fragrance he had got her for her 16th birthday. And he hated it, now. A weird feeling in his stomach gave him a clue as to who was accompanying her, because he felt a little more sad now. Josh tried looking out of the corner of his eyes, and noticed the silhouette of the mysterious dark-haired boy.

"It's raining cats and dogs!" Debby said, almost joyfully, making Josh clench his teeth. She probably got that from him, too. "Do you guys want a ride?"

Josh, who was still pretending to check something on his phone, looked up at her in disbelief. Was she kidding? He rolled his eyes at her, muttering a "No, thanks" that was colder than an Ohio winter. He heard her sigh, and he knew without looking that she had crossed her arms on her chest and was frowning like a spoiled brat.

"Josh, c'mon. I know we're not talking right now, but I'm offering you a ride and-"

"I said NO, Debby." Josh looked up at her now, and if eyes could kill, she would be dead by now.

But making eye contact wasn't a good idea, and he was now feeling double the amount of anger and stress and sadness and frustration and... He was drowning already, his breath accelerating with each exhalation.

"Josh, you're being unfair." Debby pouted.

Josh couldn't take it anymore. "Unfair?" he exclaimed, his voice louder than the rain on the sidewalk. "Are you kidding me? I am being unfair?" he chuckled angrily.

But before he could say anything else, the phone in his hands vibrated. He tapped his thumb on the screen and opened the new text message from his mom anxiously.

Can't pick you up today. Emergency room is full, they need me. I'm so sorry. See you soon, love. MOM

Josh groaned and put his phone back in his pocket. He couldn't stand when she did that. At first, he was glad that she'd found a job back at the hospital, because it meant she'd finally got out of that slumber after her husband left her, and she was getting back on her feet. But soon, she was spending more time there than she did home, and in the end, the result was the same: she didn't care about her sons.

Josh jumped at the touch of Debby's hand on his shoulder. She seemed calmer now, but Josh still didn't like her touching him, mainly because it reminded him of what they had before.

"Was it your mom? If she can't pick you up, please just consider my of-"

"I said no I fucking said NO why don't you understand?" he yelled, making her step back. And with that, he started running in the rain.

He was soaked only after a few seconds, and immediately regretted his action, but it was too late to go back now. Plus, he'd rather get sick than get in Debby's car again. Seeing all her girly stuff dangling from the rear-view mirror. Hearing the music she listened to. Smelling that perfume. No. Just no. Desperate, Josh stopped running and was surprised to still hear quick footsteps before he realized they were not his.

The mysterious dark-haired boy was walking beside him.

Josh's palms instantly started to sweat. Or maybe it was just the rain. His heartbeat raced in his chest. Or maybe it was just the aftermath of that short little run. And he thought "must not look him in the eyes, must not look him in the eyes, must not-", punctuating each word on the rhythm of his steps. But it was too silent, and silence was starting to make Josh uncomfortable.

Why did mysterious boy followed him? Why did he choose rain instead of the warmth of Debby's car? It's not like he had to run away from her, she wasn't his ex-girlfriend. And from what he understood, they were getting along quite well. So... Why? All these questions were flipping around in his head, but instead of asking, Josh apologized.

"Sorry you had to witness that" he muttered.

"It's okay" mysterious boy replied, and his voice was low and hoarse, but soft at the same time. Josh didn't understand how that was possible, but he liked the sound of it.

They kept walking in silence. Droplets of water were falling from Josh's damp hair, and he had to put it back every now and then. They turned a corner. Then, another. Josh was starting to think that mysterious boy wasn't going home.

"Are you following me?" he asked, almost laughing at the ridiculousness of his question.

"No, my house is that way" he replied swiftly, looking down at his feet.

Josh put his hands in his pockets, trying to think of something else to say. But he just couldn't seem to think straight. Not with mysterious boy around. All he could think of was the sound of his voice, and the way his arms fell weirdly at his sides while he walked.

At the next crossroad, Josh turned left and realized after a few steps that the boy had disappeared. He stopped to look back, and he was just standing there in the pouring rain.

"My house is that way" Josh said a little higher to make sure the boy would hear him.

Mysterious boy shrugged. "Ok, Josh. See you tomorrow?"

"Y-Yeah," Josh stuttered. "See ya."

He turned around and started walking again. Did he really call him by his first name? Josh didn't even know his name. How could that be possible? Suddenly inspired, he turned around again. Mysterious boy was still visible at the end of the road, and if Josh's sight wasn't that blinded by the rain, he could have sworn he hadn't moved an inch.

"HEY! WHAT'S YOUR NAME?" Josh shouted.

The boy put his hands around his mouth. "TYLER" he replied before waving awkwardly.

Josh smiled, turning around for the last time. And it's only when he finally got home that he realized something he hadn't felt in a really really long time. A little bit more than a year, to be exact.

Josh had looked Tyler in the eyes, and he didn't feel. He didn't feel a thing. He didn't feel Tyler's feelings instead of his own.