Chapter 141

"Twenty-Two burgers," I tell Denny, who is already flipping ten on the stove.

"These damn Jocks!" He huffs, "How come when I eat, I get fat, and when they eat, they get buff? How does that work, Jayda?"

I laugh and say, "I have no idea,"

He wipes the sweat from his forehead; the kitchen is so steamy from all this constant cooking, "They just had to throw a party here!" he groans.

"Right, Why would Kelly even allow this? It's too many people here. Isn't this like a fire hazard?" There have to be over 60 people out there; the dinner isn't that big, so people are literally wall to wall.

"She needs the money; they raised the property taxes, she's talking about selling the place,"

I grab two milkshake glasses from the top of the shelf, "What?"

He flips another burger, "That's what she said last Friday, but luckily she decided to let the kids throw the party here, which gave us enough money for three months. That should hold us off until she can get a loan,"

"Damn," Everyone comes here, the food is fantastic. It's hard to believe she is in money trouble.

He takes the fries out of the grease and then places them in a paper container, "Here, take this to the table with the thin girls,"

"Uhm, that's like every table out there,"

"You're right, well uh, I think it was table 5," he hands me the two orders of fries.

I walk from out of the kitchen back into the lively dinner. "Here you go," I place the order of fries on the table. They continue talking, no surprise that they don't thank me, they probably don't even see me right here. I turn around.

"Excuse me!" Matt yells. He waves me over; I look around, trying to find their waiter. I made sure Paul took the table Ryder and the rest of them were at. Where the hell did he go? Damnit.

I slowly walk over to their table; Ashley is sitting on Ryder's lap, playing in his hair while keeping her eyes on me.

"Honestly, Jayda, that skirt does wonders for your ass," he says.

"Honestly, Matt, the black around your eye really complements the busted lip," I counter; his jaw clenches.

I heard a rumor once that his father hits him; I don't know how true it is, but the bruises he always has sort of makes me believe it isn't just a rumor.

"Something is different about you. I just can't put my finger on it," he states.

I roll my eyes again, "Again, do you need something?!"

Ashley says, "No, we don't, you can go, don't you have like a bathroom to clean,"

My lips press in a straight line; I take a deep breath, and then I head over to the booth in the far back, "I'm so glad you're here,"

Jessica smiles. "You should be happy I like you; we are literally in the belly of the beast; everyone who hates us is here," she says. I laugh. "Okay, so the brother, did you find out where he's at?"

"No,"

"I knew you wouldn't; that's why I called Evelyn to get his number,"

My mouth drops open, "What?!"

"He's coming here to talk to you," she says nonchalantly.

"I can't talk to him, not here. I can't just come out and accuse him of having something to do with AJ's death,"

She nods, "Your right. You can't, so you better figure out something because he's right there,"

I turn around and spot him walking towards us. "Jess-" When I turn back around, she's gone and walking over to the bar seats.