chapter ten.

TEN. A DEADLY GAME OF CHECKERS

He's so close to victory, he can smell it

Wait, no. It's just the meatballs.

"Isn't it great, Wakko?" His little sister, Dot beamed. "All those times we talked about coming to the Swedish Meatball Festival, and now we're actually here in Sweden!" She gushed. Ally smiled down at her, glad she was having a good time.

"Thanks to publishers smearing house." Yakko looked at the audience. "Hey, Slop Face, that's the last meatball. Swallow it and you're the winner." Ally looked at Wakko worriedly. His body was no longer slim, but large and round. Honestly, she's surprised that he was pretty much full. At the Water Tower, he scarfs down everyone's food and leaves. That's why she began hiding extra for her, Yakko, and Dot.

She made a hesitant humming sound. "I'm not sure that's such a good idea."

Dot waved it off, "Oh, he'll be fine. He's already eaten five hundred. One more isn't gonna hurt." She reassured both Ally and her brother. "She's right, guys," the eleven-year-old speaks in a low voice. "If I eat one more, I'm gonna die."

Lightning sparks around the room as thunder pounded. Ally flinched at the sudden sounds. "What the heck was that?" Everyone else shrugged and continued. Wakko held another meatball in his hands and smacked his lips together. He can do this.

The boy tugged on his collar and gulped deeply. Ally has a barf bag ready. Wakko popped it in his mouth, then nearly gagged. Ally stretched the bag out towards him, but he managed to gulp it down. The crowd cheered. "That's our little garbage disposal." But the victory was short-lived.

"WAKKO WARNER."

Light burst out from the clump of meatballs. Ally's first instinct is to get in front of the kids. A man in a coat with red eyes appeared. "Your time has come." His voice boomed around the large tent. He made a signal with his finger for the child to follow.

Gasps were heard from the crowd. "Better go! Got to help the wife export some iron ore." They all ran out as fast as they could. Ally scoffed. "COWARDS!" She called out to them, huffing. They were just going to leave her and the kids there?

"I am Death," the Grim Reaper spoke.
Ally placed her arms out, keeping the Warners behind her. "And I hereby declare you to be living impaired. Hence, you must go with me to a dark kingdom of no return." He said in a low tone. Wakko smiled, running past the older girl. "Ok, sounds fun! When do we leave?"

"Wakko!" Ally lightly scolded.

But the excited boy couldn't hear her over his questions. "Do bears live there? Want some meatball grease?" He used his finger to scoop some up. Death shook it off. "Don't do that! It attracts ants." He pulls a piece of paper from his pocket.