chapter one.

ONE. THE OTHER SIDE

"Hi, Miss Lady!" Dark eyes burst open as she jolted awake, completely disoriented

"Hi, Miss Lady!" Dark eyes burst open as she jolted awake, completely disoriented. The light of the bright sun forced her to squint her sensitive eyes. Above the teenager was a small, blonde, and blue-eyed toddler wearing purple overalls. What the? She felt around her surroundings and felt the softness of grass. Nothing but miles and miles of trees enclosed the two.

Where in the world was she?

The toddler just watched as the stranger sat in the odd position. Her eyebrows narrowed as she tried to locate a memory, anything that could give her a clue as to how she got to wherever she was now. "H-hi." The raven-haired girl answered, her voice hoarse. She gave a small, awkward wave.

She licked her lips and cleared her throat for a few seconds before continuing. "I'm Ally. Um, do you know where I am?" She heard herself say slowly so the toddler could try to comprehend the question. She was only, what? Two? Three?

Her blue eyes shot towards the sky, most likely thinking.

Ally knew it was a long shot, asking a child who can barely say a full sentence. The odds of Blue Eyes understanding are slim, but she had to at least try. So far it was her best and only option. No one else was around by the looks of it. Not even the blonde's parents. "Oh!" Blue Eyes looked like she had a realization.

Ally immediately looked at her with eager eyes, hoping against hope she'd know the answer. Instead of saying anything, as Ally suspected, the child just excitedly pointed directly behind her. "Pwetty butterfwy!"

Ally facepalmed.

"Of course," she sighed exasperatedly. She's usually very patient with children, so she's been told, but this situation was just too confusing. Blue Eyes began to follow the blue butterfly. "Okay, I love you, bu-bye!" Immediate panic filled her mind. Who knew what was out there?

Ally was prepared to chase after her when a German Shepard cane out of nowhere, startling the girl. She had absolutely no idea how, but he had actual facial expressions. And it was not a puppy pout kind of thing. That poor dog looked like he was scared to death.

Wait a minute.

Ally swore her heart skipped a beat. Her eyes widened once she made a seemingly impossible connection. "Buttons...?" Her voice was no more than a mere, confused whisper. In return, she received a short glance from him. Even if he didn't react she knew who he was. She also now knew who that little girl was.

At some point, her arm decided to grow a mind of its own, stretching out and pointing to the direction Mindy went, face frozen in shock. "Sh-she went that way..." Without a second thought, he raced after her, leaving the teenager sitting there like an idiot, completely dazed.