28.1 | Caged Within Frost |

The warp through dimensions is not what one would expect

Especially not at the hands of a Witch with ritualistic magic.

It is not instantaneous or sudden, you don't just pop out in the exact location of your choosing in a mist of smoke. Everything is subject to the mass of power and Mana within the user's being.

My heart beats so softly, I count my blessings. I'm still breathing.

I'm still conscious no matter how much it hurts.

We'll have made it to the desolate land left in Greece within an hour of mystifying lights. My arms wrap tightly around the large wolf's neck, fingers kneading into the soft fluffy locks of fur. This is the only soothing thing about our journey.

Though Remi clings to my back, Daniel and Meika are guiding us in the front, walking through this tunnel. The length of darkness stretching out before them could just as easily tear us all to shreds.

If anyone's energy becomes too chaotic, we're doomed.

Forcing myself to close my eyes, I take several long deep breaths.

Stay awake.

Stay ready.

Get to Lindon.

I repeat the same words over and over again, coaching myself through every twist and turn of fate.

I watched for hours while Daniel forced his way into helping Meika with the ritual, his mortified expression never waning from memory when he saw the blood.

Even now, walking before us, he is slow and cautious.

Yes, it's true we've all changed. We've all learned horrible and cruel things about this hellacious life.

Though Remi and even Theron had not known anything else, they still found hope in the mention of tomorrow. A long, far away tomorrow that came with following me to the ends of the earth.

Perhaps I don't know why I had these four accompany me. Maybe it was all just a selfish game. Yet, I'm riding on the back of a wolf through a wild and dangerous portal of magic because we were able to come together.

On my own, I might've collapsed.

Mentally if not physically.

I smell ocean water hitting my cheeks, I taste the minerals in the air. Pain writhes through my sternum, but something refreshing comes through this time.

Lindon.

His essence bleeds out into the sea and calls for me.

This stirs a strange sort of frenzy in my chest, riling me up just enough to sit up and look around.

The blackness I'd once seen before us is morphing into a dusty blue world of light.

The sun, the clouds, the beach all beckon us in warming welcome.