28.2 | Caged Within Frost |

I'm cast out of my vessel to see the full view in front of me

Lindon's blond hair is matted down over his glowing irises, skin coated in a thick grime and dirt he cannot wash. His sweats are tattered and fraying into oblivion and both eyes are so bloodshot you cannot see white.

The room matches mine, webs and all. Though his chamber doesn't appear to have any markings or sarcophagus. Even then, each growing mossy crack in the wall faintly glows with Mana as if trying to reach out and cradle Lindon's dying form.

The broken man's face scrunches in astonishment, mindlessly getting on shaky footing and wrapping his wrists around the steel cords. A frost spreads over each individual link and intensifies into a thick ice mold. Layers and layers crust together on top of one another until the metal shatters like fragile glass upon the floor. Pieces tumble into my hair and slide against my skin, the refreshing scent of his power luring me into complacent rest.

The freezing sensation only lasts for a few seconds before the last of my soul escapes that body.

In minutes, I will not be able to return to this form. In minutes, she will be a corpse and I will be doomed to corporeal life.

He falls to his knees beside me, shaking my arms and pulling my empty frame into his lap. Lindon's hands steal my legs and then my back, lugging me up into a firm grasp and stumbling slightly as he picks me up off the ground. Eyes full of panic, he mouths words without a sound and pushes for the door.

The barrier stops him, but with irises searing gold, he kicks the thin wall of magic in on itself and feels the water rush past him.

"Fuck," he finally says. "It's the water, it's the fucking water."

Lindon takes a deep breath, trying to draw in my spirit. Instinctively, I reach out to touch his shoulder and he flinches, turning to stare where I would be dead in the eye.

He knows.

He knows I'm still here.

He knows exactly what's happening to me.

The sea begins to churn in front of him, clearing a path at first on the ocean floor, then manifesting into a hurricane around his very being.

Soaking now, the gross debris is bathed from his flesh quickly and into the water around. Racing as fast as possible, Lin sprints to the shore in a rush of wind and ice, throwing us onto the hot beach above only a hundred yards from where Remi, Meika, and Daniel gather anxiously.

My faint attention catches Shai' somewhere else, scanning for people and predators.

But the three of them are stiff, unsettled.

Each eye the storm with great fear, shocked when the man throws us onto land. I linger as close to my vessel as possible, feeling the warmth of Lindon's arms almost as if they wrapped around me.