22.2 | Tattered Memories |

A world of webs and misty lights muddle together in the doorway of memories

A world of webs and misty lights muddle together in the doorway of memories. Colors of erie shapes and images come together to form a warm white globe, sealing me off from the tortuous chamber and encapsulating me.

Silhouettes of the past haunt my vision.

I blink and Theron is standing on one side of my cot, one woven of thread from the world wars, tattered with holes and soaked in blood.

"We have to find a way to get you out of this," he whispers, trying to touch the chains holding me down. Where his hand passes through me, a vision of the real world can be caught in his watery reflection.

Closing my eyes, I try to convince myself of the same things I once did. It's been 97 years. I will not allow this to continue three more.

Yet when I try again, Theron stays, an infuriated look crossing his face as he attempts more aggressively to grab my chains. "Things are only going to get worse with you trapped here..."

"You're not real..." I answer solemnly. "Surely it doesn't matter how fast I get out of here to you."

"You don't understand what he's done to you, Iridian. You need to get out of here before the visions start."

A dry laugh escapes my lips. "Haven't they already begun?"

"You always were this stubborn, weren't you?"

My eyebrow quirks up, challenging him ever so slightly to try it again.

A jolt of pain strikes down my spine and legs, fracturing out and wrapping around to grip the front of my body in a chaotic bout of seizures. Carving into the major arteries and burning me from the inside out, I feel my body being catapulted deep into the sea.

Bubbles and warm tides toss me around, the green eyes watching in horror above the shoreline.

Twisted and thrashed in the current, my eyes land on the sunken temple beneath me. Pumping my arms, once, twice, I feel myself swimming down towards the very building threatening my sanity and life.

Lindon.

Flicking my fingers in the water, I watch the electricity of gold and red shoot down and through the doors.

Real... It feels real...

"Iridian!"

The voice resembles Theron's, but he's not who I see looking up.

A thin stream of my blood slips through the depths of water, wriggling upwards as if it were a snake.

My consciousness is waning very quickly, pressure caving in on all sides, and nothing but the vision of a blurry temple beneath me. My body struggles not to give out, legs kicking a few times per minute only to fade again.

Lindon could be nearly dead, thinking I'm dead...

The sea warps in my ears with noise and I turn to see Daniel shooting towards me. Confused, I try to blink a more detailed view and lose most of my surroundings entirely in bubbles. My eyes won't focus beyond my nose.