25.

"We don't ask each other how we've been. I'd lie to you. You'd lie to me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Katherine's POV

I walked past Draco and started sprinting to my dorm. It was like- It felt like he had a mask over his face. It felt like the Draco I've known for so long was no longer the Draco that stood in front of me. 

His glitter silver eyes were replaced with cold eyes.
His radiating smile was now replaced with a frown representing being hopeless. 

But why?
What happened to him that was so much worse than losing me forever? 

Was I being too selfish?
Maybe I was. 
Maybe I shouldn't pressure him too much.

But I couldn't help it. I couldn't help the thoughts swooshing into my brain just like how a fish runs for water. And if I did ignore the thoughts, I'd be lost just like the same fish dying due to the lack of water.

I opened my dorm door and sat on my bed. I curled up in the corner of my bed and surrounded my arms around myself.

Soon, my door opened again.

It was Damon. 

He hesitantly sat next to me.  

"You are trying to let go of him," Damon started speaking, facing the window while I turned my head towards him, listening to what he had to say. "But at the same time, you're trying to remember him."

"What?"   

"You are trying to remember the old him. The old you guys. How happy you were- how hopeful. You are trying to hold onto those memories but- but at the same time you are trying to move on."

"Damon-"

He cut me off and continued, "Remember when we promised each other to be friends forever. No matter what." He met my eyes and I shook my head, telling him how I remembered it clearly. "Since that day, that was the only hope I clung to. You being there for me when I went back home."

There was a long silence.
It felt longer than the whole day.

"I'd kill so many people. Innocent people. I'd say things I regretted. I'd do things that people hated me for. I was a horrible per- I was a monster." Damon broke the silence, "Elena hated me for it until she got used to me, she hated me. My own brother was disapproving of my actions, he continually tried to fix me."

I had no idea where he was going with this. 
But I listened.

"But at the end of the day-" he started speaking again, "At the end of the day, I'd go to my room and you'd be there. You'd first let me tell you how my day was. You'd listen to me blabbering about everything. Then you told me about your day. Whenever you'd talk, I'd stare at you while you always looked down at the ring I gave you."

He gently placed his hand on top of my hand. 

"Then you'd start calming me down. You'd tell me how people's opinions don't define who you are because the opinion that really matters is your own." He chuckled, "Then you'd hand my pillow to me and told me to hit it on the bed until my anger was fully out."