Task #9 - Responses (Males)

.: Orion Hunt - District Nine :.

The arena is quiet, untouched, undisturbed. I try not to move, every move I make rustling, the noise deafening, obnoxious, noisy. 

The silence is anything but peaceful. 

It is tense, and presses close, like darkness, like water. There is no rest, no reprieve, no break. Not here, not now, not today. 

I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to block out my heartbeat, my breath, my fidgeting... Why am I here? 

No, shut up, stay quiet, don't speak.

I need to make it. 

Do I? Do I really? 

My breathing quickens and I draw my knees up to my chest, leaning back against a tree. 

Think of some other time. I'm not here, not present, not remaining... 

*****

"Orion, what are you doing?" 

I blink, raising a hand to shield my eyes. "I dunno. Thinking, I guess." I sit up, in case List feels like he might want to kick me again. List rolls his eyes. Technically, I should be working, but the Peacekeepers never come this far out, and the sky is so blue... With a sigh, I ignore my brother and lie back down. 

"Weirdo," he comments, before heading off in another direction. 

I don't say anything- List can think what he wants. I close my eyes and just feel the light on my face... It's so Peaceful out here, compared to in the village. Well, bigger than a village, but what else do we call it?

"Ummm... What are you doing?" 

This time, I sit up first, looking at the girl carrying a scythe and giving me a strange look. "Don't tell the 'Keepers, I'm supposed to be working," I say, shielding my eyes to get a better look at her. I think she's my age, maybe a few years off. I've never seen her before, but I haven't seen a lot of people before. The district is big. 

"I won't," she says, then sticks her hand out. "I'm Iris." 

I take her hand and shake it. "Orion. So... How old are you?"

She tightens her grip on my hand and pulls me to my feet. "Fourteen. Why?" I just shrug.

"No reason, really, just curious. I'm a year younger than you." 

She nods, a little bit absently. "So what were you doing?" 

I shrug a second time. "Slacking. Not working. Relaxing. It's hot out here. I do this every once in awhile. The sky is actually pretty interesting." She raises an eyebrow, and I sigh. "Yeah, I know it's weird. I have a brother who tells me that." 

"I think it's cool." 

I blink at her, and turn red, though you couldn't tell since I'm already sunburned. "Really?" 

She nods, sitting down herself. I sit down next to her, then flop backwards to face the sky. Iris does the same, whipping me in the face with her black hair. 

"Ow," I mutter, and she sort of gathers it in a makeshift ponytail, turning red. 

"Sorry."