Chapter 24

Dani

Life goes on. At least that's what everyone seems to say. As the months went by, neither Tony or I had heard from Steve, or anyone else who fought against us from that day, except for the letter that Steve had left behind for Tony. Tony came back that day looking like absolute shit and it took him a long while just to get back to his normal behavior. It was obvious though, that something was always lurking in the back of his mind, something dark.

But, like I said, life continued on. Tony made the decision last month that we were leaving the Avengers tower and moving into the newly refurbished Avengers warehouse upstate. I was heartbroken to say the least. This place was my home for so long now, it's where so many significant things took place in my life and it was suddenly so hard to detach myself from it. It was also strange, going back and forth from the warehouse and home, seeing who remained from the Avengers, then going home to this massive tower, alone with Tony. Pepper came back, which seemed like the only good thing that happened since the big fight, I mean, besides seeing Peter.

I visited him a few times since that day, but Tony didn't even give him any calls. Rude, but considering what he was going through internally, I understand. Loki barely popped in anymore, and sometimes gave me vague excuses like he was keeping a secret, but honestly the situation was also understandable. My whole life seemed to be whooshing past me at a million miles an hour, while I seemed to just be standing still.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

I sat in my apartment, alone as the daylight streamed through my massive glass windows. The concrete jungle of skyscrapers and busy streets just outside stared back at me, as if they were antagonizing me, like they knew I was about to leave them to live in the middle of nowhere. My legs were crossed on my glass coffee table, still clothed in pajamas even though it was pushing 3. I didn't want to leave. The cabinets were empty and most of my belongings sat in boxes, askew in the kitchen. I stared at the glass sliding doors that lead to my bedroom, and memories of my first time walking into this apartment came flooding back to me.

"God, this is pathetic." I whispered to myself and stood up. I shook the sad thoughts from my head and walked over to the sliding doors. They opened and closed behind me as I walked into my bedroom. I ran and flopped onto my bed on my back, fuzzy blankets cushioning my fall as I stared up at the ceiling.

The silence was suddenly broken as my phone vibrated on the nightstand next to me. I sat up and sighed, and opened the text message that illuminated the screen.

Peter: Hey Dani. How's it goin?

Me: Hey Peter, just being lazy, as per usual. What's up?

Peter: Just got outta school, wanna hang out today?

Me: Yeah sure, I'll be over in 20. Just let me check with Tony.

Peter: Sweet! Oh, and I think Mr. Stark might have given me the wrong number, he hasn't answered one of my calls so I think he might've mistakenly given me the wrong one. Can you ask him about it?

I laughed and rolled my eyes.

Me: Oh yeah, totally. C U soon!

I tossed my phone on my bed and stood up.

"Friday?" I called out.

"Yes, Miss Stark?" An electronic female voice rang out.

"Where's Tony?" I asked and walked into my bathroom.

"He is currently in the main living room area right now. Would you like me to call that floor?" She asked.

"No thanks, I'll make my way down there eventually." I replied.