Chapter 14

FOX GOES GRR. PEACOCK GOES *FLUFF NOISES*. THE CAT GOES MEOW AND THE ROBIN GOES TWEET. DRAGONS RAWR. TURTLES GO SKRRT! WHAT DOES THE LADYBUG SAY?!?!?

Damian's POV

I begin to help Mari stand and then I say, "Angel, you need to sit down for a moment. You are too weak to stand. Let me grab you crutches and I can walk you to the living room."

"Ugh, fine. I will just err wait here," she responds reluctantly. I leave to grab her crutches and I see Jason walking over.

"Hey, back off. She doesn't need you right now," I tell him as I hit his chest with my hand, stopping him from going further towards her.

"I think I can handle it. Bubye." He walks over to her.

I give up. Why do I care anyway? She isn't my girlfriend. Wait, yes she is. I should be protecting her from bad influences like him. I'm not much better but I just really hate Jason. He just finds a way to get under my skin, nest in, and wait until the wound heals.

"Jason, if you so much as touch her, I will personally burn you with a fire lit baton."

"Look, I just want to make sure she is okay, ok?"

"What if I don't want you near her? What if she doesn't want you near her? Can you stop and think about others for a minute?"

"Dexter, you are one to talk."

"You know my name is Damian."

"Right, right. Sorry, my mind is, you know."

"How is he one to talk?" Mari asks.

"Have you seen him kind to anyone besides you or Alfred?"

"Well, n-,"

"My point exactly. I have changed my mind. You seem to be fine. Now, I am going to go on a 'business' trip. See you guys soon," Jason says and leaves. I grab Mari's crutches and bring them to her. As we walk to the living room, she asks,

"Why didn't you let him talk to me?"

"Because I don't want you to talk to him. He's a bad influence and you wouldn't want to talk to him anyway."

"Tell me the real reason."

"I'm afraid he might try to take advantage of you."

"No you aren't. What is it? Are you jealous?"

"Ok, fine. I am. You both have so much in common and I fear you will like him more than me."

"Come sit down with me. I promise that Jason will never be my significant other. Even though we are extremely similar, he is too, too, I don't know."

"Annoying, imbecilic, toxic, copycat, overly dramatic?"

"All of those and in between." I laugh a bit. "And his laugh isn't as nice to hear as yours." I sit down next to her and she leans on me. "No one could ever replace you. I hope you know that."

"I love you, Angel. I'm so sorry for making you leave. I'm so sorry for what they did to you. I should have just taken you to a Lazarus pit so you wouldn't feel all of the pain from that needle. Please forgi-," Mari kisses me. If only I hadn't said all of that horrible stuff. Maybe everything with Jason would have been fine.

"I love you, too. And I couldn't hold a grudge if I tried."

"That's good to hear," I mumble very quietly.

"How is that good to hear?"

"I just mean that if you got mad at me or the nuisances, it would be ok." Oh, that did not come out right... "Look Mari, I promise that I will not try to upset you. It will never be my intention, ever."