Chapter 14

My eyes flickered at the man in the black suit. As always, I was not used to someone sitting next to me. "Hello," the man in black spoke. I recoiled as if he struck me. "Is this your first time?" "Yes sir," I lied. "It is." "Really?" the man in black said in astonishment. "That's amazing. I have only been to Paris and Tokyo."

"Well I'll be," I whistled. "They might be the finest cities I ever saw." The man in black nodded then went on his phone. I pretended that I was listening to country music on my Ipod, only listening to the man in black's conversation.

"Yes Mr. Fairmont, I have spotted Wyatt in my midst. Apparently, he is on the plane with me." he muttered. After that I couldn't make out with what he was saying.  I immediately opened a paperback book then turned to a blank page with tiny writing. "What is your name?" the man in black asked. "Caleb Joyce, sir. Born and raised in Mississippi." I answered. "Mama was as sweet as honey while my daddy is an expert at hunting deer...."

I went on and on about my "home life" until the man in black cut me off. "Alright, Alright." he groaned.  "Forgive me sir," I insisted. "If you want, I can sing you a song." "No, no thank you-" the man in black began. "Waay down on the Bayou!" I started to sing. The plane passengers looked at our direction and scowled. I was toward the end of the song until the man in black begged me to stop.

"Sorry sir," the man said on the phone. "He's not Wyatt." Secretly, I let out a sigh of relief.  "Never mind the boy," Clarence grumbled. "I have dispose the Private Investigator. When you return to Chicago meet me at -" I couldn't hear what the location was because a three-year old brat behind me would not stop crying.

The man in black nodded at his instructions then hung up his phone.  My heart was racing fast. Ivy couldn't be dead, I thought worryingly. She can't be dead. The announcer reminded everyone on the plane that we are almost in Chicago.

But I was so angry that I couldn't hear her. The plane landed gracefully on the concrete floor. It took every passenger to hold their breath and head out of the plane in a single file line. I took out my luggage then raced out of the plane, desperate to prove that Ivy was alive.

"Ivy!" I yelled at her door. I banged on the door so loud that my fists were bleeding. "Ivy!" I shouted again. Not wasting anymore time, I kicked down the door then ran inside.

The house remained exactly where it was, except the broken glass was all over the couch, tables were turned over, and a streak of blood was painted on the tile floor.

"Meow," Cookie Dough moaned. I walked up to the over turned table then found the cat hiding behind a huge plant pot. Luckily, the cat was unharmed. "Hey Cookie Dough," I said happily. "Where's Ivy?" The cat climbed onto the stairs then rushed into Ivy's room. Cookie Dough expects me to follow her.