Chapter 6

I raced back to my apartment,  looking pale as a ghost. Ever since I saw Clarence's name on my phone, I started to panic. Does he know where I was?  My mind has kept repeating that question over and over again. My phone buzzed again, but instead of worrying, I did not hesitate when I pressed the Answer Key then hoisted the phone to my ear. "Yes?" I asked slowly. "Hello, Wyatt," Clarence greeted. "How are you today?"

I felt suspicious of his kindness. What game are you playing? I wanted to tell him, but I was too nervous to speak. "I'm doing fine," I said, wanting to hang up the phone and pretend this conversation never happen.

"Good," he beamed. "You are just the boy I was looking for." "What do you mean, pig?" I demanded. I could tell that he hated that nickname, not only does he breathe impatiently through his nose, but also his voice remained cold and unconvincing.

"Listen," he muttered through the phone. "I know what you did to my account. And I am going to make a proposition for you: stop digging and I will pay you five grand." Now that is the step-father I know and hate  I thought to myself. "What if I say, "you have finally lost your sanity?" I sneered.

I then heard a low chuckle coming from the phone. "Then, I wouldn't hire every single man to go after you," he answered coldly. "Now what will it be, son, the five grand or death?" I thought about it carefully then asked, "Since when does a CEO Executive like you threaten a low life like me?"

Without a word, Clarence hung up the phone. I took five agile steps to my computer area then checked the bank statements I had earlier. As I took a first glimpse at the screen, I muttered a groan: the statements were the same long before I changed them.

You want to play dirty? I growled under my breath. Let's play dirty, pig. I pulled up Clarence's personal files then began to read through them carefully. Everything was normal about him: his parents were ministers of an old church, Clarence's was a straight A popular jock, and got a degree in Computer Engineering.

But I flipped to the next page, I found out that Clarence has transformed from good citizen to a corrupt idiot. Over the past twenty years, he has a record of abusing employees, especially women. However, there was hardly any police reports about the abuse, just a record of all the good deeds he has done.

The next page I found horrifying, on September eleventh, Clarence had told the police he was taking care of his children and former wife, only the family had never saw the father. The cops assume that he was running away from the chaos, like the others. But then, I found  graphic information that he was assisting Osama Bin Laden's destruction of the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, and other dangerous activities.

But because there was no proof, they decided to let him go. After a couple of clicks, I saw nothing but blank pages. Feeling annoyed, I turned off the computer. In order to find out more, I need to know where they keep Clarence's records. If only I could hurry before my mother gets beaten or even killed.