Chapter 11

Ivy gave a long sigh then slid an old photo of my family and me. "It was your mother," she said softly. "What?" I barked. The witch hired Ivy to spy on me? After all the things I have done for her? Was helping her financial problems not enough?

"Since when did she hire you?" I asked. "Since you abandon her," she pouted. "My father took over the case while I did some research on you. I was thirteen years old." "What happened to your dad?" I asked. "Does he know that you-" "No, he doesn't," Ivy interrupted. "He died, so did my older brother." "What was your older brother's name?" I asked.

Ivy felt tears rushing through her eyes. "His name was Jacob, but he keeps calling himself Sav4." "Oh no," I gasped. "The only reason why I took this case, because I want to know how my brother died," Ivy continued. "I know he couldn't just leave my parents heartbroken like that."

I felt extremely sorry for the girl. "I know you knew my brother," she said. "And the things he has done. So tell me, how did he die?"
I was about to leave until her glare made me sit back down again. "Please," she begged. "Fine," I muttered. I told Ivy everything; I told about his occupation as a hacker, I told her the things he has done, and why he did them.

"Someone saw us in the sewers," I explained. "He or she called the police. They killed every last one of us except me and Phat$. Your brother died protecting me." Ivy lets her tears fall on the table. Cookie Dough climbed onto her lap and tried to comfort her.

I rose from my seat and decided to leave her be, until she said something that was very surprising. "Take everything you need in the room," she insisted. "Then get out of my house." I wasted no time with her slurred orders. I took the file, the clippings, and the photos from the room then placed them in my backpack.

"Goodbye," I say to her. I walked towards the weeping girl then put my lips onto her forehead. Ivy stared at me in shock, but did not flinch or recoil. "Goodbye, Wyatt." she mumbled. I left the house in a hurry.

Back at my apartment, I threw the pile of papers onto my desk then began looking at each and every one of them. More and more information about my ruthless step-father keeps popping into my head.

He has records of money fraud, abusing his power, and there was one shocking thing about him: his ex-wife's restraining order. As I peered at the paper, there were words that surprised me even more. His ex-wife had reported to the police that her former spouse was abusing her, forcing her to do things she did not want to do, and stalking her every move.

When the police questioned him, he responded that his ex-wife was insane. He groaned on and on that she is schizophrenic who deserves "special treatment" in a mental hospital.

I went online and searched for Clarence's ex-wife's name in the mental hospital records. It turns out, she was sheltered in the hospital for eighteen years until the tragic fire burned down the hospital along with the all of the staff and patients in it.

In order to put that pig behind bars, I need to find out why there weren't any criminal charges against him and what made him change. But the one thing that was bugging me the most is if he really framed my father. Being the good guy was hard, especially when I have endless papers of Clarence's guilt on my desk.

I put the documents into a neat pile then placed them back into the file. I need to visit the police station again, but this time I am not going to see my father. This time, I going to have a word with the judge.