epilogue

"Hey, babe you're going to college, right?"

I look up from my book at Liv, who's gazing at herself in my bedroom mirror. "Planning on it."

It's been three months since the trial and five weeks since my father was sent to jail. Mom has started talking to one of my teachers, which I actually don't mind. She deserves to be happy. We've been getting along better and better. We both do household chores and have started going out to eat or go shipping. Its really nice.

My 'gayness' doesn't bother her in the slightest. She even helped me to come out to our distant relatives. My aunt was accepting, but the grandparents weren't exactly thrilled. They didn't reject me, though, which I'm thankful for. With all the recent stress with my father and upcoming finals, I don't think I could handle anything more.

Sarah and I don't talk anymore, but we smile and wave in the halls. Sometimes. She's started paying less and less attention to me. I don't mind, though. I still gaze at her, but without hurt or longing. I simply think back on all of our experiences.

I smile softly.

"What?" Mia asks me.

I look up at her. "I love you."

"After all this time?"

I giggle at the Harry Potter reference. I look at her for a long minute. "Always."