seventeen

"Hey. Why didn't you tell me you skipped?"

I glanced at Sarah and shrugged. 

She sat across from me at the lunch table. "You mad at me? Because of Ryan?"

I shook my head, and for once I actually think I'm telling the truth. I'm not mad at her. "Sarah, I'm shipping you and Ryan. The power couple. Cute cheerleader meets big jock."

She rolls her eyes. "What is shipping?"

I gasp and fake-faint in my chair. She cracks up. "Welcome to dorkville where we ship and roleplay."

"Is roleplaying when you dress up like a super hero and go to comic-con and stuff?"

I start flopping in my chair like a fish out of water. "Ah! The pain!"

"Stop!" she laughs. 

I sit up and giggle. "Shipping is when you have two people and you love them as a couple. Like, you pretty much worship their existence." She looks at me like I'm the oddest thing she's ever seen. "Okay. And then roleplaying is when you have a fictional character, on the internet, and you act as them and talk as them with another person, as if you and that other person are making a story."

She nods, but I can tell she doesn't get it.

I sigh. "Basically you guys are an OTP."

She shakes her head. "OTP?"

I groan. "Sarah." 

She giggles.

"One true pair," I tell her.

She nods. "Oh. Okay." 

"Heyo!"

I turn and my heart swells. Olivia. "Hey."

"Who's this?" Sarah asks.

"My-"

"I'm Olivia. Are you Mia's girlfriend?"