Chapter 21 "In For A Surprise"

Scarlett

Three days had passed since Sara's kidnapping and since then, she has been silent and distant. She hardly talk and oftentimes kept to herself. I sometimes found her crying alone in my bedroom, yes in my bedroom, since she was sleeping with me for the time being, as she asked me to and thankfully, Liv understood and agreed to sleep with Violet in the meantime.

It was also the third time I was woken up by Sara's squirms and shouts as she had a nightmare again. I pulled her close and enveloped her with my arms while rubbing her back as she sobbed against my chest.

"Shhh, it's okay, it's just a nightmare. I'm here, I won't let anything happen to you," I cooed as I wiped the lone tear that escaped my eye with the back of my hand. It was painful to watch her like this. This was messed up. She was breaking apart and I had no idea what to do. It would be helpful if her parents were here but they were still away and she asked me not to tell them or it would complicate things. 

"I'm s-sorry, I woke you...up again," she said in between hiccups. 

I peered at her and shook my head, "No, you shouldn't be sorry. If there's someone who should be sorry, it's me okay? What happened to you was all my fault and I'm sorry you had to go through all that. I'm really sorry Sara." God, I felt awful thinking how reckless I was to put her in danger and almost got her killed. This was why I didn't want anyone to get close to me because in this line of work I had, there was no time I would be safe.

I felt her hands cupped my face, "It's not your fault I was kidnapped Scarlett. You saved me and it's thanks to you that I get to live another day. Now I'm sorry if I ever let you feel guilty but don't blame yourself, I chose to stay with you even if it's dangerous because I care about you and I don't want to be away from you..." she tucked a few strands of my hair behind my ear, "I just need time to process everything that happened then I'll get better."

I shook my head and held her hands on my face, bringing them to my lap, "No. I can't let you put your life in danger anymore Sara. I guess it's best for you to stop coming here for the meantime. We can hang out in school but not here, it's not safe." She pulled her hands away from my grasp and frowned. 

"No. Didn't you just hear me Scarlett? I don't want to be away from you. I want to spend time with you as much as I can, I don't care if it's safe or not."

"I can't let you do that. I barely saved you last time Sara and I don't want to risk getting you hurt again. Think about what your parents would feel if something happens to you. If you don't care about your safety, atleast think about your parents." She opened her mouth but closed it immediately and avoided my gaze. I knew it would be hard to convince her that was why I had to use the parents card on her so she would think twice.

When I thought the conversation was over, I tucked her chin between my fingers and tilted her head up so she could look at me. "Think about it okay?" She nodded, her eyes glistening once again, "We should go back to sleep," I added, patting her pillow. She needn't be told twice as she laid down easily, flashing a quick small smile before turning her back to me. I dragged the cover to her shoulder level and laid down, staring at her back. Even if I was used to her being around here, I knew she needed to stop coming here for her own safety.

Yawning, I closed my eyes to welcome the sleep once again but it didn't happen when I heard a shout from the other room. I quickly got off and grabbed the gun I hid under the bed before bolting to the other room. I kicked the door open and aimed the gun to no one in particular.

"What the hell?!," Violet gasped with a surprised and questioning look while Liv was frowning on the floor.

"What, there's no intruder?" I asked and slowly lowered the gun.