Chapters 501-510

The tears rolled down Eve's pale cheeks and when they left her, they had turned into pearls. Vincent quickly caught them in the air without letting one of them hit the ground.

With her emotions that had broken free, she realised the predicament she would be putting herself in if people in here were to discover who she truly was. She tried to hold back her tears, but it was hard to do with Noah's body in front of her.

She wanted to cry more, but this wasn't the place to do it.

Vincent placed a comforting arm around her shoulders and said, "Let us finish what we came here to do. I will keep them distracted so that you can take your time."

Eve couldn't stop staring at Noah's body, and she faintly heard Vincent's words before she nodded and whispered, "Okay."

"Just a little longer," Vincent promised her, and he walked past her and the table to reach where the three physicians worked for the Council. He said to Ms. Clarks, "Show me the sample."

"Here it is, Sire," the woman stepped away from the device to let Vincent step forward.

While Vincent spoke to the council members, Eve was left next to Noah and her hand trembled when she raised it towards him.

Eve whispered in question, "What happened to you, Noah?" In some part of her mind, Noah was the person who would always be there around. Even though she had never admitted it out loud, she had always depended on his wisdom and believed it. The man was kind and pure, and knowing that he had reached his end this soon was baffling.

Eve slowly slipped her hand into his resting hand to find the truth of what had happened to him. His hand was cold as ice. She pressed her fingers on his, half wanting to support him, and she finally closed her eyes to read his memories.

But after thirty seconds of Eve trying to read Noah, her eyes snapped open and she screamed loud enough for the people in the room to be startled.

One of the male physicians turned and asked, "What happened?!"

Vincent, who heard Eve's scream and her heart racing in her chest, was quick to leave where he was seated and came to her side. Eve had moved away from the table and had fallen on the ground.

"Eve! Are you alright?" Vincent tried to read her, and all he found was her being scared. Her body trembled, and he grabbed her before having her stand.

"Is the lady alright? Did something happen?" Asked the other male physician, who looked at Eve, then a dead Noah and then the room as if waiting to catch Noah's ghost floating around.

Vincent offered a slight smile and responded, "The lady isn't used to seeing dead people. It would be best for me to take her out of here, and let her rest a little. I will talk to you later, Clarks."

The woman nodded briefly, watching the couple leave the laboratory room. Vincent noticed how Eve looked as pale as a ghost, and she didn't speak but stared. He took her to his office room, burning the wood logs and having her sit on the couch before putting a spare blanket around her, which he took out from the room cupboard.

Vincent then poured a glass of water for Eve before bringing it to her.

"Drink it," he said when he noticed the reluctance in her eyes.

Eve took it with both hands, while Vincent sat down next to her, watching her blue eyes dilate. She took a couple of sips before returning the glass to him. Her eyes watered, and more tears slipped from her eyes and this time, he didn't stop her, and neither did she. Pearls bounced on the ground, moving in a different direction but not too far from where they sat.