Chapters 1-10

A little girl sat in the tub of water, her mother washing her golden blonde hair. The woman filled the water with a battered mug, pouring water gently over her daughter's head.

"Mama," said the little girl. Her eyes followed the length of her mother's wrist to a fresh bruise.

"Yes?" Being attentive, her mother asked, "What is it, Eve?"

"You hurt yourself..." the girl's voice was sweet. No older than eight, she gazed at her mother with her clear blue eyes.

Her mother smiled at her. To the little girl, her mother's smile brightened the entire room even though it was dimly lit with the few remaining candles they had.

The woman placed her wet hand on the little girl's head, "It was slippery from the rain. Your mother tripped and got herself a little boo-boo," the woman assured her daughter, "It is nothing your mother can't handle. Don't worry!"

Eve nodded, believing her mother's words without question, even though she saw a second bruise on her mother's cheek.

The smile on the woman's face faltered when her daughter was distracted by the water's surface. Most of the bruises that she received were covered by her dress, and the long sleeves that she wore outside was enough to cover up to her wrists. But the bruise inflicted on her face was difficult to hide.

Her daughter was growing, and she knew that her child had come to an age where she was easily curious and able to grasp difficult subjects. She did not wish to lie to her daughter, but at the same time, it was hard to explain what she did.

"How was your day, my dearie?" asked the woman, watching her daughter.

"I helped Thomas with his sheep. He let me walk with him and watch them graze," the little girl replied fondly as if she had enjoyed it very much. She turned to look at her mother before saying, "He was taking their clothes off, mama! He said they would grow it back, but I felt bad because they looked cold. Mama, can we get a sheep one day?"

"Maybe one day," replied her mother, the look in her eyes gentle. "I hope you didn't step on his toes."

The little girl vigorously shook her head.

"That's good," said the woman, picking up a jar off the ground.. "Thomas is a generous and kind man."

Kinder than many who lived in this town thought the woman.

As she bathed her daughter, shimmering blue scales appeared on the little girl's legs. The little girl's hand touched the scales that left a dazzling criss-cross pattern. The woman turned the jar's cap, and added two spoonfuls of white powder into the bathtub, letting it dissolve.

The little girl questioned, "Mama...why doesn't our soap have bubbles?" Her little eyebrows furrowed. "Mrs. Edison told me we couldn't afford soap."

Her mother smiled, "What were you doing talking about soaps? We use something that's even better than soap. It keeps your skin smooth and silky. Don't you like being smooth and silky?"

"It does?" Asked the girl with an innocent expression, and her mother nodded.

"It does. Plus, it's important you use the salts during your baths, until you learn to hide your scales. This will keep you safe. Remember, Genevieve. No one can know about your scales, else it will be big trouble for both of us!"

Shortly after the salt dissipated into the water, the scales on the little girl's legs disappeared. Her mother came to sit behind her head, pouring water and rinsing her head and body before being brought out of the tub with a towel wrapped around her.

"Mama, will you come with me tomorrow?" A hopeful expression hung on the little girl's face.

Eve was hugged by her mother, and the little girl was more than happy to hug her back. Eve was still young and missed her mother whenever she had to work, as she was often gone for long hours, not returning till late in the evening. There were some days where her mother was away for the entire night and early in the morning, leaving the little girl all by herself in the small house.