forty-one

BELLY

Conrad gets into bed before Belly. They haven't spoken since they left the party.

Belly can't tell who Conrad is mat at, and even worse, how mad he actually is. She takes her time getting ready for bed, the champagne buzz has completely subsided. She's stone cold sober now. She walks out of the hotel bathroom, still in her dress, and Conrad is on top of the covers, scrolling through his phone.

One of his shirts is neatly folded on her side of the bed. She smiles. He left it out for her. She strips down into nothing and shimmies his shirt over her body.

He sets his phone down and then opens his arms, "Come here."

She breathes a sigh of relief and crawls in next to him.

"Are you okay?" Conrad asks after a few seconds of silence.

"I don't know," she says quietly.

He rubs her back softly, "I'm sorry he said those things."

"He wasn't wrong though, Con." Belly says quietly, gently tracing circles on his bare hip bone.

"Yes he is. You have not ruined his life, not once."

Belly rolls her eyes, "I told him I loved you, on our wedding day."

Conrad's chest rises and falls, "Oh Bells," he leans down and kisses her head, "He's had every opportunity in the last 8 years to be happy, to dig himself out of this hole and figure it out."

"I guess, I just feel like this is my fault."

"It isn't. You can't carry this guilt forever," Conrad rubs her shoulder.

"We need to talk to them," Belly says softly, throwing her leg over his.

"He can't talk to you like that, I won't allow it." Conrad says, his voice deep. His grip tightens on her waist.

"It's fine, just relax,"

"No,"

"Con—"

"I'm not going to let my shithead brother say stuff like that to you. It's out of line and not okay," Conrad says roughly, his voice stern.

Belly tries to fight a smile, Conrad has always been protective over her and she has to admit it's a nice feeling. "Okay, okay," she says.

"I don't want to talk about him anymore," Conrad dips his head to meet her lips, "No more talking tonight."

Belly chuckles but doesn't argue. She can never argue when Conrad kisses her like he does in that moment. She's his, in any way he wants her.

The next morning, Conrad brings coffee and donuts back to the hotel and they enjoy them in bed. But there's a sense of dread knowing they have to go talk to Jeremiah.

Conrad is annoyed still, and makes it known that he'd rather be doing anything else. But Belly is determined to fix it, things are finally good with Jere again, and he's finally happy.

They checkout of the hotel, and drive to Jeremiah's apartment. Conrad doesn't talk, but he holds her hand and chuckles when a Harry Styles song comes on and she belts it at the top of her lungs.