ten

BELLY

Conrad comes to bed late that night. She hears him come in, get ready for bed and then crawl in next to her.

They've fallen asleep the same way since the first night they slept in the same bed. She falls asleep on his chest, his arm around her back. She can hear his heartbeat as it slows down, his breathing levels out and he falls asleep. She's always felt the safest in the nook of his arm, on his chest.

Tonight is no different. He finds her as soon as he's situated and pulls her into his chest. She snakes one of her legs through his and she throws her free arm over his bare torso.

"Belly?" He asks, his soft voice cutting through the darkness.

"What?" She whispers back.

"Thank you for choosing me."

Belly pulls away from him slightly, she wants to see his face in this moment. But it's dark and she can't see anything.

"What?" Her voice is stunned.

He pulls her back down to his chest and rubs her back softly, "Never mind."

Without another word, Conrad falls asleep. Belly wasn't expecting that. She was expecting something about the fight. Instead of diving down the rabbit hole of why he said that, she cherishes the moment. Two nights ago she laid in their bed in Boston and cried because he wasn't next to her. She makes a decision that night as she's falling asleep. There's nothing more important than their marriage, and her family — not even summers in Cousins.

Conrad isn't in bed when she wakes up. The sun is barely peaking over the horizon when she looks out the window. She wonders if he's on a run, or morning surfing with Jere and Steven. But today is the day, they need to talk.

She pours a cup of coffee and sits in a lounge chair by the pool in her pajamas. Well, Conrad's pajamas. Her shorts, his giant, oversized sailing sweatshirt. It smells like him. Ocean breeze, mint and something she's never been able to place, it's just a Conrad distinct smell.

Conrad, Steven and Jeremiah come walking up from the beach a little while later. They're all soaked to the bone and carrying boards.

Conrad smiles when he sees her. "Morning Bells!"

She smiles over at him, "you guys are up early."

"Had to catch the morning waves!" Steven says happily.

"Isn't the water cold?" She asks as Conrad walks up to her.

"Freezing," his lips are a little blue. His smile still shines just as bright though. He sits next to her and holds out his hands. She cradles them between hers and blows hot air into the cup.

Jeremiah and Steven walk by them into the house, talking about one of the waves they caught.

Belly kisses his cold hands, "Go take a warm shower."

Conrad exhales, even his breath is cold. "I know we need to talk."

"We do," Belly says simply.

"Muffin run?" Conrad says with a cheeky grin.

Belly can't resist him, "I'll wait here."