thirty-two

CONRAD

Steven and Shayla invite him, Belly and Jeremiah out for dinner in Boston on Friday night. Laurel and my Dad come over to babysit the kids.

Belly looks nice, she always looks nice. But tonight especially. She comes down the stairs in ripped jeans and a lace top with her leather jacket that Conrad got her when they were dating.

He reaches for her as she walks towards him, "I'm a lucky man."

She waves him off, "Stop it."

Conrad can't help but kiss her, it completely messed up her lip gloss but Belly doesn't say anything. She's never cared about that stuff.

Steven picked a nice restaurant downtown Boston, Conrad valet's the car and they walk in hand-in-hand. Everyone else is already at the table.

Belly and Shayla sit next to each other, with Conrad next to Belly and Shayla next to Steven and Jeremiah in the middle. Steven orders a water for Shayla, and bottles of red wine for the rest of the table.

Conrad starts talking about football with Jeremiah and Steven, while the girls talk about Shayla's pregnancy.

Conrad reaches under the table and sets his hand on Belly's leg. She gives him a small smile. He knows how hard it is for her to see Shayla pregnant. Conrad and Belly are longing for a third baby so badly. But Belly doesn't seem anything but genuinely happy, that's just the kind of person she is.

Jeremiah is talking about a quarterback who just got drafted when a waitress catches Conrad's eye. He frowns at her, "Hailey?" He asks.

She spins around, and as soon as she sees him, her face falls, "Dr. Fisher, hi."

The rest of the table is watching the interaction. Belly jumps in, "Hi Hailey!"

Hailey smiles, but it's small and timid, "Hi Isabel."

Steven snorts into his wine glass, "I'm sorry, Isabel?"

Belly shoots daggers at him, "Stop it Steven."

"No one calls you that!"

Belly turns her attention back to Hailey, "Do you work here?" Her voice isn't accusatory and Conrad is grateful she asked, it would have come off wrong from anyone else.

Hailey nods, sheepishly, "I do. It's really good money and—"

Conrad cuts her off, "Hailey, you don't owe us an explanation. It's absolutely fine."

Hailey visibly relaxes. Shayla smiles up at her, "I'm Shayla, and this is my husband Steven."

Jeremiah smiles at her too, warm and friendly, "I'm Jeremiah, Conrad's brother."

"It's nice to meet you all, I'm Dr. Fisher's new receptionist."

"We don't want to keep you. It was really nice to see you," Belly says warmly.

Hailey nods, "It was nice to see you too." She walks away swiftly.

Belly frowns at Conrad. He shrugs. They move past the moment, and order some appetizers.