thirty-eight

BELLY

The annual Susannah Fisher Charity Gala has come around again, and this year, Belly has the task of planning the gala, but also introducing the Fisher Foundation. It's adding a layer of complexity now that the foundation is off the ground.

Conrad has been taking fewer and fewer shifts at the hospital, now just primarily seeing patients at the practice. Less surgeries, less hours on call and way more time with the family.

They've had Crew for almost three months, and honestly, they can't imagine life without him. He feels like part of the family, for everyone.

The other additions to the family, Hailey and Mason, are also proving to feel normal.

It's nice, seeing Jeremiah so happy. He laughs more when Hailey's around, he is giddy all the time, he's playful and silly again.

It's a Saturday morning, the sun is shining and the weather is perfect for an October day. Matt, Henry and Crew are playing in the backyard, all three of them in shorts and sweatshirts with messy hair. Conrad and Belly are sitting in patio chairs, sipping coffee.

Crew bursts out laughing, and it makes them both smile. Crew had a hard time when school started, it was new and he was so worried about making friends. He ended up being in the same class at Henry though, so that helped and he's a really smart kid.

"He seems happy, right?" Conrad asks gently, his eyes fixed on Crew.

Belly follows his gaze to the blonde haired boy who looks nothing like the other two. Matt and Henry still continue to look more like Conrad, with his dark brown hair and handsome smile. Crew has a crooked smile, and a pointier nose, and his hair is kind of wavy. He doesn't look like he belongs to them, but he does.

"I think so," Belly nods, "I hope so."

"Me too," Conrad sighs and sips his coffee, "They all do."

Belly couldn't agree more. Matt and Henry adore Crew, the three of them are like this tight knit little group that has a secret language. It's hard to imagine Crew not being here one day.

"Hello?" A voice echoes through the house.

Conrad frowns, "Back here!"

Jeremiah walks through the door, Mason in tow. "Good morning, Fisher clan."

Mason says hi to both Conrad and Belly before joining the other boys in the yard. "Any coffee left?" Jeremiah asks.

"Fresh pot," Belly says quietly.

Jeremiah disappears into the house for a few minutes and returns with a steaming cup of coffee.

"What are you doing here?" Conrad asks his brother who is sitting down on the patio chair next to him.

"Mason asked if they could play today. Hailey is volunteering at some event so I thought I'd swing by." Jeremiah frowns, "Sorry, are you guys busy today?"

Conrad chuckles, "No, just doing this." He nods his head towards the backyard, signaling that they're going to watch the boys play all day — no plans.

"Excellent," Jeremiah sips his coffee.

"How are things going with Mason?" Conrad asks quietly.