thirty-one

BELLY

They are back in Boston the next week. Matt is recovering fine, and milking every second of being spoiled. Belly lets him go to his friends houses and they sign his cast. He loves it.

Henry laughs at him every time Belly has to cut his food though. Matt grumbles that he's not a baby anymore, but also thanks her quietly for the help.

Jeremiah stops by one day and asks if he can take Matt and Henry for a few hours. Belly doesn't hesitate to let them go, and they're excited to have a day with him.

Belly decides to get out of the house, she goes to Conrad's favorite coffee shop and picks up his usual— a large cold brew and a cinnamon scone. She parks in the back of his building and takes the elevator up to the 10th floor.

Belly is surprised not to see Lacey at the front desk. Instead, a younger blonde girl sits there. She's not wearing hardly any makeup, just some mascara which makes her bright blue eyes pop. She's wearing a black shirt dress and black heels. She flashes Belly a smile when she walks in.

"Hi! How can I help you?"

"I'm here to see Con — Dr. Fisher,"

She looks at Belly and then smiles, "Oh my gosh, you're Isabel!" Her voice is warm and genuine, "Your Dr. Fisher's wife! I'm Hailey, the new receptionist. He's been telling me so much about you."

Belly softens, "Oh, that's nice of him. I didn't know he got a new receptionist."

"I work at a temp agency, they just called this morning!"

Belly nods, "It's so nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you!" Hailey beams at her, "He's actually free right now if you just want to head back."

"Oh thank you!" Belly gives her another smile before walking to the back. Conrad's door is open. He's flipping through a patient chart, sitting on his brown leather couch she picked out for him. He has on his dark square glasses and looks so handsome.

"I love those glasses on you," She says quietly, not wanting to scare him.

He looks up, and immediately smiles when he sees her, "Well aren't you a nice surprise."

She holds up the coffee, "I come with gifts."

Conrad cocks his head, his eyes warm on hers, "My girl." She walks over and plops down on the couch next to him. He closes the folder and pulls her into his chest. He takes a sip, "Oh I needed this."

Belly looks up at him, "What happened to Lacey?"

Conrad rolls his eyes, "She quit this morning, told me she couldn't even work two weeks."

"I never liked her," Belly mumbles.

"Belly?"

"Hmm?"

"You weren't jealous of Lacey, right?" He's smirking and his voice is playful.

"Of course not," Belly blows him off.

Into her hair he says, "It's kind of hot."

Belly laughs and pulls away from him, "I was not jealous."