eight

BELLY

Conrad is sound asleep when she wakes up the next morning. It's still early and she doesn't want to wake him so she slips out of their bedroom quietly.

Her mom is already downstairs with a cup of coffee, "is that Connie's car outside?" She looks up from her computer when Belly enters the kitchen.

"Yes. He drove from Boston at midnight, after an 8 hour surgery." Belly says with a bite. She isn't happy he did that with a dead phone. She softens a bit, "his patient died."

Her mom's face falls, "oh no, the mom?"

Belly nods, "he sobbed all night."

"I can't even imagine. It probably brings up so much for him," her mom shakes her head softly.

Sometimes Susannah's death feels so long ago, but other times, it feels like just yesterday.

"I know."

Her mom closes her laptop and sets it aside, focusing her attention on Belly, "do you want to tell me what happened with you two?"

Belly sits down in the chair across from her, "we just had a fight."

"I gathered that much." Her mom says softly, "was it about the third baby?"

"Yes and no. It was about a lot honestly," Belly sighs, "And apparently he's been talking to Steven about it, which makes it even worse."

"Why?"

"Because he hasn't said any of this stuff to me, Mom. He'll confide in Steven but not me."

Her mom chuckles, "they're best friends, Belly."

"What's your point?" Belly says with a smirk. Belly leans back in the chair and puts her hand up to her head, "I'm glad Steven and Shayla are here."

"Me too. It's nice being all together as a family."

"It is."

Steven walks in from the kitchen with wet hair, "Is that Con's car?" He asks as soon as he sees Belly.

Belly nods. "He got in late, he's still asleep."

"I'm going to wake him, the surf is incredible!"

Belly grabs his arm on the way by, stopping him in his tracks, "He lost his patient last night, Steven. Let him sleep."

Steven sighs, "Fuck."

"Language, Steven." Their mom says softly.

"Is he okay?"

"Nope," Belly answers simply. 

Steven sets his hand on Belly's shoulder, "let us know if we can do anything to help."

"Thanks." Belly says softly.

Matt and Henry are still sleeping so Belly crawls back into bed with Conrad. She strokes his bare back softly.

He inhales deeply, and then exhales. He's waking up. Conrad reaches out without opening his eyes and sets his arm over her.

"You can't do that, ever again." Belly says softly.