fifty-three

BELLY

The last few weeks of Belly's pregnancy fly by, and create a very clingy Conrad. He waits on her hand and foot, constantly bringing her snacks and water refills. He takes the boys to school, makes sure she eats every meal, gives her massages, handles everything at the foundation, drives her to every appointment.

They're up at the beach house one weekend at the end of April when Belly snaps at him. She's uncomfortable and he's hovering.

"Conrad! I'm fine, will you please just let me do this by myself?"

He recoils like a hurt puppy. Belly is trying to roll out a new rug in their newly remodeled bedroom, and he will barely let her. She's pregnant, not incapable.

"I'm just trying to help," Conrad mumbles, holding his hands up.

Belly sighs, "I know you are. And I love you, but you're driving me nuts."

"Seriously?" He asks, his tone a little hurt.

"Seriously. You're being a helicopter husband. I just need some space. I can roll out this rug by myself."

Hailey comes bounding into the room, "Okay, I found the lamps!" She stops in her tracks when she senses the tension in the room. "Did I interrupt?"

Conrad shakes his head, "Nope. I'm going to surf."

Belly sighs, "Con—" she pleads but he's already gone.

"What happened?" Hailey asks, setting the lamps down on their respective end tables.

"He's driving me nuts. He won't leave me alone."

"Bells, do you know how many girls pray for their husbands to be that attentive?"

Belly plops down on the bed, "I'm just uncomfortable and hormonal and want this baby to show up."

Hailey chuckles, "He loves you so much, and it's actually really sweet how much he dotes on you."

"I sound like an ungrateful bitch, don't I?"

"No, you're pregnant, you get to be crazy and illogical."

Belly rubs her swollen stomach. She's huge, "I'm just anxious. I know he's trying to be helpful. I shouldn't bite his head off."

"Come on, let's finish this room."

The house looks incredible. The renovation has been completed. A brand new kitchen, a full expansion for all of the adults to have their own suites, a giant room with bunk beds for the kids, an expansion to the outdoor patio and pool and a last minute finish of the basement. It was way too much money, but it finally feels like the house fits them all, and it's beautiful.

Mason, Matt, Crew and Henry are playing in their new room, laughing loudly about something. Hailey and Belly work for the next few hours, putting the final details on all the bedrooms, fluffing pillows and hanging pictures.

Later that night, Conrad and Jeremiah come back from surfing late. They're both sun-kissed from being out all day.

"Are you still mad at me?" Conrad asks, his hair dripping wet.