forty-nine

BELLY

Belly is sitting next to Conrad's hospital bed. He has a few broken ribs, his nose is broken and he has a concussion. They kept him overnight because he was so out of it.

She watches him sleep, his chest rising and falling.

There's a soft knock on the door, it's a police officer, "Mrs. Fisher?"

She stands up and walks out into the hallway, "Yes."

"How's Dr. Fisher doin'?"

Belly nods and crosses her arms over her chest, "He'll be alright, thanks for asking."

"I'm Officer Carter, I responded to your house last night. All your kids ok?"

"Yes they are."

"Great. Well, I came to let you know that Taylor and Jason were released on bail. So they're out. I'd recommend getting a restraining order if I were you."

Belly sighs, "Are they going to be charged?"

"They will be. Home invasion, trespassing and assault. They both have records, so they might serve time but it won't be much."

"Okay, how quickly can I get a restraining order?"

Officer Carter looks down at her, he's an older gentleman with a nice clean haircut. He rubs the back of his neck, "If you put in the paper work, I'll see what I can do about rushing it through. But I might recommend going out of town."

"The boys have to go to school," Belly says softly.

"I understand, but they might come back."

Belly nods, "Okay. Well thank you for the help."

He pulls a card out of his pocket, "This is my card, call me directly if anything comes up. You don't have to go through dispatch."

"Thanks again, Officer."

He bows his head and walks away. She walks back over to Conrad's bed.

"You're a sight for sore eyes," His voice is gravely and sounds rough.

Belly exhales, hearing his voice is a relief, "Hi baby."

He smiles, "Hi."

Belly leans over the bed and runs her fingers through his hair, "How much does it hurt?"

"A lot," Conrad winces.

"I'm so sorry," Belly chokes out.

"Kiss me," Conrad says to her.

"That's not going to feel good."

"Kiss me anyway."

Belly leans forward and places her lips against his. His lip is busted open, and his lips are cracked and dry but they kiss anyway.

"I'm so glad you're okay," Belly says after a minute.

"Is Crew okay?"