WAIT FOR ME ⇾ LUKE SKYWALKER...

By sarahsyndulla

After the events of Bespin (Empire Strikes Back), Luke joined his father, Darth Vader and became a Sith appre... More

epigraph
prologue
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty

chapter nine

608 27 2
By sarahsyndulla

chapter nine: mission pt. 2

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

     The sounds outside the medical room were silent as I quietly slipped out of the cot and into a spare uniform that had been left in the chair Han had sat in earlier. I felt something in me shoulder pull slightly, but I didn't have time to worry about it. All I knew was that I had to get to the hangar before Wedge. I gently laid my black, leather jacket I had gotten from Sabine Wren as a parting gift on the back of the chair, letting her signature starbird sown into the back lay out on display for the next individual who would come in here to find me missing.

      As I finished pulling the uniform on, I felt a throbbing pain in my shoulder. The intense pain washed over me, threatening to cause me to black out once again, but I bit down on my tongue to send the pain somewhere a little more bearable while I creeped out into the hallway.

      Cautiously, I left the room, glancing down both sides of the hallway before closing the door silently behind me. Next, I started making my way towards the hangar bay, where Wedge would be prepping for take off. As I walked down the hallway, I kept my head low, not making eye contact with anyone.

I knew that I wouldn't be recognized immediately because of the standard regulation uniform that I usually neglected for the comfortable blue tunic, grey hued material that hung over my shoulders all the way down my side, and similar colored trousers that I crafted as Ahsoka's padawan learner. Similarly, Han liked to stay comfortable, more often than not, by opting to wear his signature jacket and white undershirt. Han was still a mercenary which gave him more freedom in that department, but it seemed to extend to me most of the time, even though I had enlisted instead. During certain missions and training, pilot suits were mandatory, but I rather enjoyed wearing them rolled down with a grey shirt and my black jacket as a nice change from time to time.

      The hallway was rather empty leading to the hangar bay with only Shara Bey and Kes Dameron in the hallway, flirting away with one another. I saw Wedge out of the corner of my eye, speaking with Leia, who was just beyond the hangar bay doors. Great. Now I have to get by the only two people on this ship that could actually stop me, without being seen, noticed, or recognized.

Swiftly, I managed to grab a clipboard out of the unsuspecting hands of an officer walking by me without her even noticing. I guess this serves as further proof that I've been around Han for too long. I used it as a distraction, looking at the clipboard the entire time I passed by the General and Lieutenant. When I made it through, I let out a small sigh of relief.

The hangar was full of life, with mechanics looking at each starfighter, Han and Chewbacca looking at the hyperdrive systems aboard the Falcon, and then the pilots, hanging around, swapping stories and polishing their fighters to match their trusty astromechs.

      By now, I could feel blood starting to seep through my uniform, forming a red bloom right beneath the collarbone. My vision was becoming slightly blurry, but I still scanned the bay for a ship. That's when I saw the stolen TIE interceptor, already prepped and waiting for its pilot. I glanced back over my right shoulder to see Wedge still conversing with Leia. With a deep breath, I held a hand to my shoulder, covering the red stain and quickly ran over to the TIE, using the shadows of the other starships as cover.

       Once I made it to the ship, I hurriedly climbed inside, pulling my hand away from my shoulder to notice the red liquid starting to collect on my palm. I started to regret my decision to leave my room, but when I saw Wedge turn and begin to walk my way, I knew I had made the right choice. This mission is crucial to the Rebellion, but if Wedge goes, he won't be coming back. I have to do this, to protect Wedge and prove my loyalty.

       I spent a moment looking at the controls before I started the takeoff cycle. There was no doubt that I'd attract a lot of attention when the engines fired up. The TIE came online almost instantly, taking just a second or two for the engines to warm up. At the startling sound of the engines, I looked one last time around the hangar to see Wedge running towards me, pilots and mechanics pointing and staring, and Han, who was perched atop the Millennium Falcon with a confused look on his face. As we made eye contact, I could almost hear his voice calling out my name. Goodbye Han.

      I lifted off from the bay and sped out of the hangar. Fortunately, the coordinates had already been punched in, taking me to what I hoped would be the Super Star Destroyer. Just as a squad of A-Wing starfighters left the bay after me, I launched the hyperdrive into the unknown. There's no going back now.

•••

     While in lightspeed, I noticed a spare TIE flight suit in the gunner seat. As I changed, I noticed the gash underneath my collarbone, stretching to the shoulder. I found medical kit beneath the console which I used to wrap the wound and keep pressure on it until I could find the medical bay aboard the Star Destroyer. There, I'd be able to doctor it myself, well, as best as I could.

       At that moment I realized I hadn't fully thought this through. How was I supposed to fulfill the mission when I was badly injured didn't have a plan as of how to acquire the layouts? I groaned at my foolishness. However, there was no way I could turn back now. I had to go through with the mission, whatever it takes.

       Suddenly, the TIE pulled out of lightspeed. The sight of the Super Star Destroyer looming overhead made my heart drop. Super is an understatement for this Star Destroyer. We could fit the entire Rebellion and then some aboard this ship.

      "TIE Interceptor 2187, you aren't scheduled out for patrol. Report back to hangar bay eight immediately," a female voice demanded over transmission.

       After the initial shock, I sighed, falling into my soldier persona. "This is TIE Interceptor 2187, coming in from a flight test. Reporting back to hangar eight now."

       I enter the labeled hangar and land, stiff with worry about being discovered. When a patrol of stormtroopers passed by my ship, I exhaled loudly, relieved that I hadn't been found out yet. Carefully, I climbed out of the TIE, being careful not to damage my injury anymore than I already had. I headed down the closest hallway to my left, looking for the med-bay when took a misstep and almost came crashing down. Luckily, another TIE pilot had been walking my direction when they noticed my falter. They had been able to catch me before hitting the ground, letting out a chuckle, "Might wanna watch your step, shiny."

        I was dumbfounded as they helped me to my feet. I tried to remain calm as I rose to my feet, so grateful for the helmet covering the look of horror on my face as I was face-to-face with a stormtrooper. My speechless state made the trooper laugh, "Come on, I'm headed to the med-bay to get my concussion checked, maybe you should get checked out too."

Finally coming back to my senses, I nodded, "Yeah, I've felt a little off here lately. Maybe it's just a cold."

Together, we walked through the hangar to the med-bay that was on the other side. As we fell into step, I couldn't help but notice a figure standing angrily speaking to one of the officers. I couldn't make out the conversation, just a word here and there, "No...I'm sure...felt it. Go check..." The figure suddenly turned to look at me and the other trooper. When I saw the glimpse of blonde hair, I looked straight ahead as if I hadn't seen anything. He tilted his head as he watched us leave, but never said a word. Underneath my armor, I was shaking, whether from fear or pain I wasn't sure, but there was once thing I was sure of. This mission had just gotten a lot harder. Luke Skywalker was on board.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 48 4
Starkiller was an apprentice to darth vader, he would follow his commands without question, he would hunt jedi that survived the massacre and give in...
633 83 18
Kyra & her family leaves earth to start a new life in space but things goes totally wrong when an attack happen on the way to their new planet, when...
133K 3.5K 49
A post-TROS fix fic. Ben & Rey's story after Episode IX. This story contains plenty of spoilers from Episode IX, and some from the Mandalorian. Thes...
821 32 7
On Endor, Luke Skywalker shares a vision with Darth Vader of what the future could hold. That sets him off on another path as he struggles to do some...