An unavoidable fate | Azur La...

נכתב על ידי Pongppx

It was only the beginning of your career in the Royal Navy, however it was unfortunately ending faster than a... עוד

Introduction
Prologue
Chapter 1 - New Realities Pt. 1/2
Chapter 2 - New Realities Pt. 2/2
Chapter 3 - The Few Pt. 1/4
Chapter 4 - The Few Pt. 2/4
Chapter 5 - The Few Pt. 3/4
Chapter 6 - The Few Pt. 4/4
Questions
Chapter 7 - The Music of Fortune Pt. 1/3
Chapter 8 - The Music of Fortune Pt. 2/3
Chapter 9 - The Music of Fortune Pt. 3/3
Chapter 10 - Secrets Pt. 1/4
Chapter 11 - Secrets Pt. 2/4
Chapter 12 - Secrets Pt. 3/4
Chapter 13 - Secrets Pt. 4/4
Chapter 14 - Homeward from Gibraltar Pt. 1/4
Chapter 15 - Homeward from Gibraltar Pt. 2/4
Chapter 16 - Homeward from Gibraltar Pt. 3/4
Chapter 17 - Homeward from Gibraltar Pt. 4/4
Chapter 18 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 1/6
Chapter 19 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 2/6
Chapter 20 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 3/6
Chapter 22 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 5/6
Chapter 23 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 6/6
Chapter 24 - A Matter of Yesterday Pt. 1/3
Chapter 25 - A Matter of Yesterday Pt. 2/3
Chapter 26 - A Matter of Yesterday Pt. 3/3
Chapter 27 - Land of the Midnight Sun Pt. 1/3
Chapter 28 - Land of the Midnight Sun Pt. 2/3
Chapter 29 - Land of the Midnight Sun Pt. 3/3

Chapter 21 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 4/6

703 18 4
נכתב על ידי Pongppx

10th of March 1942

"The Dungeon", Station HYPO, Oahu, Hawaii.

10:45

     A jeep stopped right outside the Dungeon. Nimitz, Y/n and Alan were led into the bunker by Lieutenant Commander Edward T. Layton, Nimitz's intelligence officer.

Layton: "Just like I had told you, sir. Rochefort still confirms that "AF" is indeed Midway but we're still not certain if the Japanese will actually attack it or not."

Nimitz: "Washington doesn't think the same. They believe it's either the Aleutians or Port Moresby."

     Layton still tried to convince Nimitz that AF is indeed Midway but Nimitz needed more evidence to convince King in Washington. They all walked into the bunker where they were met by Commander Joseph Rochefort, still wearing his slippers and a bathrobe with his khaki uniform.

Nimitz: "By the way. Gentlemen, this is Lieutenant Commander Y/n L/n, an liaison officer from the Royal Navy."

Layton: "Bureau 10, sir?"

Nimitz: "Aye."

Layton: "Glad to see you here, L/n."

Y/n: "It's my pleasure."

Layton: "And you, Commander Alan. I am heard of you, sir."

Alan: "Glad to hear that."

     Y/n shook hands with both Layton and Rochefort before they resumed their works in listening to the Japanese radio traffic. Y/n can clearly see that they work for 12 hours or even more per day.

Nimitz: "By the way, Layton. 28°12′N 177°21′W, are there anything in these coordinates?"

Layton: "...That's Midway Atoll, sir."

Nimitz: "Y/n?"

Y/n: "Please come with me, sir."

     Y/n was satisfied with the answer he received. He immediately led the group into an empty room and locked the door.

Y/n: "I have received the coordinates and the date from a lady. She appears to be able to manipulate fate and she looked somewhat similar to the Sirens."

     All of them in the room were shocked because only high-ranking Sirens can manipulate fate and even life & death. They have never even met one before during the invasions.

Y/n: "I believe something's sure to happen on the 4th of June 1942 other than the currently uncertain Japanese attack. If we're unlucky, the Sirens might appear there."

Alan: "How are you so certain about that, Y/n?"

Y/n: "Back on the 15th of September 1940, I was in my Hawker Hurricane over London when that woman voice suddenly echoed across my head as if she was trying to whisper something into my eare. Then, a Heinkel appeared out of nowhere and collided with my Hurricane. She confirmed the fact that she was responsible for the collision, out of an infinite number of realities."

Nimitz: "Rochefort, approximately when can you really confirm that the Japanese will attack AF?"

Rochefort: "I believe they're still planning to attack it, sir."

Nimitz: "Make it convincing."

Rochefort: "As you wish, sir."

25th of March 1942

Field 1, Eglin Field, Florida.

     Y/n watched on as 22 B-25 Mitchells took off from the runway one by one, headed for McClellan Field in California.

Aiden: "Lieutenant Commander, it's about time to go."

Y/n: "Right."

     Y/n turned away as the last B-25 took off. He was to go back to the UK to receive his new decorations and to be assigned to a new command for the time being.

     Before Y/n got back into the jeep however, he noticed three U.S. Army pilots approaching George. He immediately approached them.

Pilot 1: "Hey, look what I see here. There's a shipgirl out here, let's bring her with us for some fun."

Y/n: "I believe I will have to teach you some manners before that."

Pilot 3: "What do you mean? You can't even win against all three of us man. Just let us take the girl."

Y/n: "Not when I am still here."

     Y/n punched one of them in the face before he punched the other one in his throat. The last one still standing tried to grab him by his uniform but Y/n twisted his left arm and threw him to the ground.

Y/n: "Thirty seconds. That's still quite impressive..."

19th of April 1942

HMS Illustrious, Force 121, Port of Durban, Durban, South Africa.

     Y/n was on the flight deck of Illustrious in his white tropical uniform when a crew chief approached him with a news magazine.

???: "The Yanks did it sir. They bombed the Japs."

Y/n: "A daring feat. Don't you think so, Damian?"

Damian: "Of course, sir."

     The crew chief was none other than Damian, who survived Audacity's sinking because his life boat was rescued on the same day it was sunk.

Y/n: "But there is no end to it though."

Damian: "Sir?"

     Y/n grabbed the news magazine in Damian's hand and tore it apart for unknown reasons. He dropped it into the sea below. Damian was surprised but he made no attempts to stop Y/n as awkward silence sets in.

Y/n: "Sometimes, I just kept wondering why was it not me."

Y/n: "I have lost too many friends, way too many. Sometimes, you only get to know them for a day then they are gone."

Damian: "..."

Y/n: "Maybe I can free myself from all the suffering once this war is over and live like a normal human being."

     Damian seems to understand Y/n's feeling more than anyone else. He has also lost friends and even his brother to the war.

Y/n: "Come on, we should get going. There's a briefing in five minutes."

Damian: "Aye, sir."

4th of May 1942

HMS Illustrious, Force 121, To the west of Diego-Suarez, Madagascar.

     The day before the invasion of Madagascar, a big rehearsal has recently been conducted. Martlets, Fulmars and Swordfishs can still be seen flying around the fleet while each one took their turns landing.

     Meanwhile, Y/n was with his new squadron in their ready room. The 881 Naval Air Squadron, which he was assigned to lead temporarily until they have a new CO.

Y/n: "Tomorrow, Operation Ironclad will begin before dawn. Please expect some kind of resistance from the Vichy Air Force. Please keep in mind that this is our first amphibious assault since the disastrous landings in the Dardanelles."

Y/n: "For now, rest. Make sure you're prepared for tomorrow, there will be another briefing at 3 am. Dismissed."

     Some of the pilots stood up and walked out of the room while most of the pilots stayed within the room. Morale was high, even though some of them haven't seen combat before.

5th of May 1942

6:00

     The sun reflexs inside the cockpit as it appears. Eighteen Swordfish escorted by eight Martlets are in the air, closing in on the port of Diego-Suarez.

     As soon as the flights reaches the port area, flak guns lights up the skies. The Swordfishs was divided into three flights of six Swordfishs each.

     Y/n looked on as the first flight begin their attack aviso D'Entrecasteux but the aviso managed to dodge the torpedos and leave the port area. Instead, the torpedos hit and sunk the armed merchant cruiser MS Bougainville.

     The second flight began their attack on the Vichy submarines with one of the submarines being sunk by depth charges while the third flight was busy dropping leaflets that encourage Vichy troops to surrender.

6th of May 1942

7:30

     Y/n was once again in the air with three other Martlets near the landing points when they suddenly came upon three Vichy Potez 63.11 reconnaissance bombers directly below them, attempting to reach the beachhead.

Y/n: "Anchor Leader to Black Flight, you are cleared to engage."

Black Leader: "Roger Anchor Leader. Black Flight's engaging."

     Y/n's flight was divided into two pairs as they dived down on the three Potezs. One of the Potez's rear gunner immediately opened fire on them.

     Y/n got his sight on the Potez in front of him and opened fire with a short burst. The Potez's port engine caught fire as its rear gunner tried to return fire, but he was quickly cut down by another burst from Y/n's Martlet.

     The first Potez went spiraling down in flames but the pilot and the observer managed to bail out in time. The second Potez targeted by the flight leader exploded right on the spot while the third escaped.

Y/n: "Great job, Black Flight. Get back into formation."

Black 2: "Roger."

7th of May 1942

8:45

     Three Martlets commanded by Y/n was flying over the British lines when they stumbled upon three Vichy Morane-Saulnier M.S.406s fighters.

     Despite having only three aircraft including himself in the formation due to landing accidents on Illustrious yesterday, Y/n decided to engage the Moranes anyways.

Y/n: "Red Flight, this is Anchor Leader. You have been granted permission to engage."

Red 2: "Roger that, Anchor Leader."

     Y/n decided to engage the Morane's flight leader while his other two Martlets engaged the other two Moranes.

     Y/n dived down on the slower Morane and fired a burst on its engine and starboard wing, he pulled up as soon as he dived past the Morane.

     Y/n regained his altitude and made another pass on the Morane while it was trying to evade Y/n's Martlet. Y/n fired another burst into its engine. This time, it caught on fire and the pilot bailed out of his doomed aircraft.

     Meanwhile, the other two Martlets in Y/n's flight were performing well. They had just shot down the other two Moranes but Red 2 wasn't that lucky. He was shot down by one of the two Moranes but fortunately, he managed to bail out over friendly lines.

Y/n: "Reform formation, Red 3. We're going back to Illustrious."

Red 3: "Aye, sir."

9:05

     As soon as Y/n's two Martlets landed on Illustrious, the crew immediately greeted them with applause and cheers. Damian climbed onto Y/n's Martlet and opened the canopy for him.

Damian: "Congratulations on your 25th victory, sir."

Y/n: "Thanks but it's not like I am that proud of it though."

Damian: "I know but would you still like two Vichy French Air Force roundels on your Martlet, sir?"

Y/n: "That's entirely up to you, Damian."

Damian: "Then, please wait for the results sir."

     Damian gave Y/n a satisfied smile as Y/n climbed out of the Martlet's cockpit. Y/n took off his leather helmet and watched on as Damian immediately begins his work on the Martlet.

28th of May 1942

Naval Station Pearl Harbor, Oahu, Hawaii.

9:30

     A Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina landed on Ford Island. As soon as it landed, Y/n walked off the Catalina and was greeted by Nimitz and his staff. Unbeknownst to Y/n however, he was being watched by the three Yorktown-class sisters from a hangar.

Hornet: "Enterprise! Who's that over there?"

Enterprise: "I believe his name is Y/n. He's the commander of our counterparts in the Royal Navy."

     Hornet was still curious about Y/n's businesses here in the Pacific. After all, it doesn't make any sense for a Royal Navy's officer to be here in Pearl Harbor.

Hornet: "What's he doing here in the Pacific then?"

Enterprise: "I believe it has something to do with the Sirens."

Yorktown: "Interesting..."

Alan: "Are you talking about me ladies?"

Hornet: "What?!"

     Alan suddenly appeared out of nowhere behind the three of them. Hornet was freaking out while Yorktown and Enterprise were softly giggling.

Enterprise: "O-of course not, Commander."

Alan: "And about my good friend, Y/n. He will be serving on you for a short period of time, Yorktown."

Yorktown: "I see, Commander. That makes him even more interesting..."

Y/n: "Maybe you can talk a little quieter when talking about me, Alan."

     Y/n was already right behind them while Nimitz and his staff were still walking to the hangar. Y/n gave Yorktown a smile, Yorktown smiled back in return.

To be continued...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That concludes Ironclad within this chapter. Operation MI will take the last two episodes of this arc. Then we will be moving on to a new arc pretty soon hopefully.

Since COVID-19 is back in Thailand again, I am still not sure if my school will close again or not but I will be uploading the story as usual. The next chapter might be uploaded a day early to compensate for the previous chapter one-day delay. Stay tuned!

As always if you have any suggestions or ideas on how to improve the story. Don't be afraid to write it down in the comment section down below, I will be sure to read it!

See you in the next chapters!

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

48.7K 738 18
"I felt my heart beat a little faster than before. Is it because of my work? No, it wasn't. It's something new." Erljohn Lebosada is a gifted child o...
133K 2.3K 59
Yamatomo Mazuhashi had finished his officers training course at Age 25 and promoted to Admiral at Age 26. At the Age of 26 he had been doing nothing...
56.4K 1.9K 38
This could not possibly be happening, right? You were sure that you had simply gone to bed as per usual and yet here you are, far from home, met with...
36.7K 905 52
Ronin wasn't particularly interested in ships but he did love the history of naval combat and the battles that came with it. He lived a normal life...