An unavoidable fate | Azur La...

By Pongppx

It was only the beginning of your career in the Royal Navy, however it was unfortunately ending faster than a... More

Introduction
Prologue
Chapter 1 - New Realities Pt. 1/2
Chapter 2 - New Realities Pt. 2/2
Chapter 3 - The Few Pt. 1/4
Chapter 4 - The Few Pt. 2/4
Chapter 5 - The Few Pt. 3/4
Chapter 6 - The Few Pt. 4/4
Questions
Chapter 7 - The Music of Fortune Pt. 1/3
Chapter 8 - The Music of Fortune Pt. 2/3
Chapter 9 - The Music of Fortune Pt. 3/3
Chapter 10 - Secrets Pt. 1/4
Chapter 11 - Secrets Pt. 2/4
Chapter 12 - Secrets Pt. 3/4
Chapter 13 - Secrets Pt. 4/4
Chapter 14 - Homeward from Gibraltar Pt. 1/4
Chapter 15 - Homeward from Gibraltar Pt. 2/4
Chapter 16 - Homeward from Gibraltar Pt. 3/4
Chapter 17 - Homeward from Gibraltar Pt. 4/4
Chapter 18 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 1/6
Chapter 19 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 2/6
Chapter 21 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 4/6
Chapter 22 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 5/6
Chapter 23 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 6/6
Chapter 24 - A Matter of Yesterday Pt. 1/3
Chapter 25 - A Matter of Yesterday Pt. 2/3
Chapter 26 - A Matter of Yesterday Pt. 3/3
Chapter 27 - Land of the Midnight Sun Pt. 1/3
Chapter 28 - Land of the Midnight Sun Pt. 2/3
Chapter 29 - Land of the Midnight Sun Pt. 3/3

Chapter 20 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 3/6

738 18 19
By Pongppx

Present

28th of February 1942

12:25

     Both Y/n and the Commander of the U.S. Navy's Bureau 10 were pointing their guns at each other despite attempts to calm both of them down.

Y/n: "This is why I hate playboys the most."

???: "I also hate those who acts honorable like a gentleman."

     Both of them kept staring at each other while still aiming for each other's head. George tried to walk in to calm Y/n down but she was stopped by Enterprise.

George: "Release me! Someone will have to intervene before it escalates."

Enterprise: "Please just watch. Do you trust your own commander?"

George: "Of course..."

Enterprise: "Then please don't intervene."

George: "Fine..."

Five minutes earlier...

12:20

     Y/n walked out of the Sunderland, he was immediately impressed by the size of the New York City. However, he also noticed someone looking at him. It was his long-time friend and rival, Commander Alan. He was decorated with several decorations and badges.

Alan: "It's been a long time, Y/n."

Y/n: "So my guesses were right, are you the U.S. Navy's Section 10 commander?"

Alan: "Section? That's so British, it's a bureau here. And yes, I am the commander, who's that beautiful girl behind you?"

Y/n: "That's none of your business, Alan."

Alan: "I see, then allow me to take care of her."

     Alan quickly approached George and grabbed her hands. George was confused and looked at Y/n who was clearly angry.

George: "Who's this, Y/n...?"

Alan: "No worries, sweetheart. You're one of my mistresses now-"

Y/n: "I told you, it's none of your business."

     Y/n grabbed Alan by his left shoulder and smiled. Alan tried to punch Y/n in the face but Y/n grabbed his fist and attempted to throw him to the ground.

     Alan managed to stop Y/n from throwing him to the ground but was unable to lock him in place. Both of them took a few steps backwards and pulled out their service pistols from their pouches.

Alan: "You always give me a hard time, Y/n."

Y/n: "And that's also the reason why you're also my rival."

Present

Alan: "Be honest, Y/n. Who is she?"

Y/n: "She's my girlfriend, how about that girl over there?"

Alan: "She's my favorite mistr-"

Enterprise: "Ahem...I am not even your girlfriend, Commander. Please stop your imagination right there."

     Enterprise cleared her throat while Alan was speaking. Enterprise sighed as Alan tried to move closer to her.

Y/n: "Alan, let's get right to business."

Alan: "Right, but allow me to introduce the chief of the research and development department in Bureau 10, Dr. Kason Hooper."

     The scientist inside the car walked out. He shook hand with Aiden as if they have known each other for a long time.

Aiden: "Long time no see, Hooper!"

Hooper: "Aiden! My good ol' friend."

Y/n: "So you knew each other beforehand, Aiden?"

Aiden: "Aye, Lieutenant Commander. Just like you and that Commander, we knew each other beforehand."

Alan: "Lieutenant Commander? That means you're my subordinate."

Y/n: "Can we get back to the point, Alan?"

Alan: "Right, Jack. Prepare the car, let's get going."

     Alan's chauffeur, Jack, a big and muscular African-American Petty Officer 1st class opened the limousine's door for Y/n and the group. All of them entered the limousine with Y/n being the last to enter it.

Jack: "Greetings, sir. I will be your chauffeur from now on."

Y/n: "Good day."

     Y/n know about the racial segregation in the U.S. military as a whole because of Alan. African-American servicemen were only reduced to non-combative duties such as mess attendants.

Alan: "To be honest, Jack is lucky. I am tired of all those racial segregation in the U.S. military."

Y/n: "It's rare to see you being tired of something but let's get right to the point. I heard ABDACOM (American-British-Dutch-Australian Command) isn't doing well."

Alan: "You're right, ABDA strike force under Rear Admiral Karel Doorman lost most of its light cruisers today, Doorman also chose to go down with his ship. The remaining ships are all low on ammunition and fuel, USS Houston and HMAS Perth are the only remaining cruisers available in case of any Japanese attacks."

Y/n: "How about the Sirens?"

Alan: "Speaking of those Sirens. There haven't been any sightings after Pearl Harbor."

George: "Uh...Y/n. How did you two know each other?"

     George asked out of curiosity because the two of them seems to get along well and they seems to have known each other for a long time.

Y/n: "It is rather-"

Alan: "Ahem."

     Alan cleared his throat as Y/n stopped speaking. Y/n knew Alan wasn't comfortable with him telling their story for now.

Alan: "It is a very long story, my lady. So please wait until we get to Pearl Harbor, then I will gladly tell you all about it."

George: "Right..."

Y/n: "Alan, I heard that the U.S. Navy Officer Corps are divided between those who support your Bureau 10 and those who oppose it."

     Alan stared at Y/n before he sighed. Alan was clearly anxious, however Y/n was surprised. He had never seen Alan like this before.

Alan: "Not only the officer corps but the entire military. The reason we were based in the Pacific was because most of those who supports us comes from the Department of the Navy."

Y/n: "The entire U.S. military? Let me guess the one responsible for this is Admiral Ernest J. King"

Alan: "Correct. Because according to himself, he doesn't want his beloved U.S. Navy to base itself on the British. He's an Anglophobia and he's the one causing me the most trouble when compared to the Japanese or even the Sirens."

Y/n: "I don't think that's the real reason, Alan."

     Y/n looked at Alan who laughed out. After all, Y/n hasn't even changed by a little in his opinion but he was still his match.

Alan: "I know the Royal Navy told you that the first time the Sirens invaded was in the North Sea right?"

Y/n: "Right."

Alan: "But what the Royal Navy and the rest of the world didn't know was that there was a second invasion of the Sirens in the Pacific."

     Y/n wasn't surprised but George and Dr. Aiden were confused, they have never heard of a second Sirens invasion while Y/n had anticipated that there would have been no reasons for the US to establish Bureau 10 when the Sirens threats are only in the North Sea and that the U.S. government would've used similar methods to the British government to hide it from the public but not from their military.

Alan: "It was back in 1928, the Sirens appeared off the Aleutian Islands. They reduced an entire island to nothing in mere seconds. The entire strike force sent by all three branches of the U.S. military fared no better."

Alan: "Since then, the entire military was divided into those supported Bureau 10 were called "Retributionists" while those who oppose Bureau 10 were called "Revanchists". The revanchists are ignorant to the fact that conventional weapons don't work on the Sirens and since Bureau 10 hasn't yet been proved in combat, they think we are a waste of valuable resources."

Y/n: "Fair enough."

     The ride goes on as Y/n and Alan discussed on less important matters while George and Enterprise were enjoying the view of New York City.

29th of February 1942

Naval Station Pearl Harbor, Oahu, Hawaii.

9:25

     A Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina carrying Y/n and his group landed at Naval Air Station Ford Island. The four battleships lost during the attack on Pearl Harbor were still visible while the other three are still going through temporary repairs. The most undamaged of the eight battleships, USS Pennsylvania has already left Pearl Harbor for San Diego.

Alan: "Welcome to Pearl Harbor, or what's left of it at least."

Alan: "Admiral Nimitz is waiting for you in his office. He wanted to meet you in person."

Y/n: "Lead the way then."

Alan: "Of course."

     Y/n and his group was ferried from Ford Island onto Pearl Harbor. A Willys MB Jeep was already waiting for them. However, only Y/n, George and Alan were allowed onto the jeep while the rest were led by Enterprise to the Bureau 10's section of the base.

Alan: "As you see, my lady. It would've been hard to notice but I am actually very different from Y/n. Unlike him, I am a playboy."

Y/n: "And unlike you, Alan. I am not a playboy. But that's what also make us perfect partner and rival. Don't you think so, Alan?"

Alan: "Of course, Y/n."

     George was still curious about both of them as they seems to often argue with each other despite also being good friends.

George: "So...how did you know each other?"

Alan: "It was back in 1933 Japan where I met a troublesome boy named "Y/n L/n" in the Kodokan Judo Institute. We trained under the same sensei but we've never won against each other even once."

George: "Sensei? What is that?"

Alan: "It's basically a teacher, my lady.'

George: "I see..."

Alan: "You see, there aren't many shipgirls around at the moment. Unlike your Royal Navy, they are currently on their respective ships in case any Sirens appears in the Atlantic or the Pacific since pretty much everyone in the military knows about us anyways. I wonders how the British government managed to keep it a secret."

Y/n: "I won't answer that question for sure."

Alan: "Of course, I didn't expect you to answer it anyways."

     They continued talking until the jeep stopped just outside a big building. An old man looked at them from an office window on the second floor as they got off the jeep. Alan and Y/n took off their peaked caps before Alan led them all to the man's office.

Alan: "Admiral Nimitz, our Royal Navy visitors are here."

Nimitz: "Bring them in, Alan."

Alan: "Aye, sir."

     Alan opened the door for Y/n and George as they walked inside. Nimitz was delighted to see them.

Y/n: "Lieutenant Commander Y/n L/n, sir."

Nimitz: "I have heard of you, Lieutenant Commander. King George V, congratulations on sinking the Bismarck."

George: "Thank you, sir."

Nimitz: "It's a pleasure meeting both of you. Let's get to the point though, the Japanese are currently on the offensive in the Solomon's while we are still on the defensive."

     Nimitz suddenly changed from his casual tone to the serious one. He also pulled out a file of document and placed them on his desk.

Nimitz: "I wanted you to join VF-3 and advise them on air warfare tactics since we don't have any notable air ace yet except Lieutenant Butch O'Hare who's still on the Lexington and he's about to go on a war bond tour."'

Y/n: "What you're saying is you wanted me to advise them as an exchange officer, sir?"

Nimitz: "Right. I have read your profile, a highly decorated pilot with 23 confirmed aerial victories like you would become a useful asset and more importantly, you've also used the F4F Wildcats in combat."

Y/n: "Anyways sir. I am willing to accept your request but I have little to no knowledge of the Japanese fighter aircraft."

Nimitz: "Do you mind explaining the "little to no knowledge" part, Lieutenant Commander."

Y/n: "On the 13th of September 1940 over the city of Chongqing, 13 Japanese Mitsubishi A6M2 Zeros shot down 27 Chinese Polikarpov I-15s and I-16s in less than three minutes without any loss during a bomber escort mission. The fact that the Soviet-made I-16s are highly maneuverable and notable for its rugged structure can't be ignored but most Japanese aircraft are also notable for their legendary maneuverability and high rate of climb which means that the same might also apply to the Zeros or it could even be better than its predecessors."

     Both Nimitz and George were amazed by Y/n's summary. He basically summed it all up for the Zeroes despite having never faced it before in combat.

Nimitz: "That's not what I would call little to no knowledge, Lieutenant Commander. Even though I have received the report of the dogfight over Chongqing but most of the other military officials dismissed it, as it was almost impossible for the Japanese to build such an aircraft."

Y/n: "Well then sir. I will gladly accept the order, sir."

Nimitz: "I will set up the date for you then. But before you go, I have another request for you."

Y/n: "Sir?"

Nimitz: "There have been weird sighting reported around the Midway Atoll, most of them speculated that those were Sirens. I want you and Bureau 10 to investigate."

Y/n: "Then can I ask you a personal favour, sir?"

Nimitz: "Sure thing, what's it?"

Y/n: "28°12′N 177°21′W, 4th of June 1942. Can you pinpoint the exact location of this coordinates, sir?"

Nimitz: "I will try but who told you about that?"

Y/n: "I believe once the times come, you will find out sir."

Nimitz: "Alright alright, I will be waiting for it then."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operation Ironclad is coming up in the next episode. It's about time we talk about Mada-oh that's a spoil, I apologizes. Operation MI will probably be in the last two chapters of this Arc.

I am sorry for the one day delay. I am quite busy with the sports day stuff (they forced everyone to stay until 17:00 pm so I have to comply.) so I will be sure to compensate in the next chapters of this story.

Also, please suggest to me in the comment section below on who you want in your American shipgirls harem so I can find some ideas for that.

As always if you have any suggestions or ideas on how to improve the story. Don't be afraid to write it down in the comment section down below, I will be sure to read it!

See you in the next chapters!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.9K 911 52
Ronin wasn't particularly interested in ships but he did love the history of naval combat and the battles that came with it. He lived a normal life...
135K 2.3K 59
Yamatomo Mazuhashi had finished his officers training course at Age 25 and promoted to Admiral at Age 26. At the Age of 26 he had been doing nothing...
16.4K 1K 62
The second book of Azur Lane: Kaiserin has arrived and with it comes action, adventure, deception and romance!! Will our beloved Kaiserin find true h...
8.9K 170 23
An old abandonned fanfic on Azur lane. One of my first works. Republished but not updated to my standards.