Rebels Among Cyborgs

By DAYdreamer61401

In the year 2115, almost nothing is a secret. Except for Carolina Icarus's second life. Normal Cali is your... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19

Chapter 10

35 2 2
By DAYdreamer61401

Unfortunately, Damien's "encouragement" did nothing but distract me as we finished preparations for our mission.

Everyone was dressed in black clothing with a wolf outline sewn onto the backs and sleeves. I had kept the outfit I was already in, since it was completely black. I didn't see a point in changing.

"Cali, can you come to the stage please?" Damien asked through my earpiece. That little device would take some getting used to.

"Yes," I replied simply. I didn't want to say too much and give away the dozens of emotions churning in my stomach. Had he really wanted to take me out on a date, or was that just to get me to join the Pack? Did he mean his flirtatious remarks, or were those just part of the act also?

What were his true intentions?

I marched towards the stage, ignoring these questions and the people staring at me. My heart raced uncontrollably from both the excitement for the mission and what happened with him.

"Good, you're here," Damien said with an all-too-genuine smile as I arrived backstage. "Basically, we're just going to give the troops another quick pep-talk and then you and I are going to head to Capital City. The troops are going to teleport there once we get in and start the attack."

I took a deep breath, trying to focus on anything but my tornado of emotions. "Right. Let's go."

Damien walked out onto the stage and a hush fell over the crowd.

"Brothers and sisters of the Pack!" he called into the microphone. Instantly, the crowd howled in response.

"What is our motto?" He asked the crowd.

"Live together, live forever! Fight together, fight forever!" the crowd chanted. Interesting motto, I thought.

"That's right! And tonight we will begin our eternal fight together!"

The soldiers stomped, clapped, and howled in agreement. Damien was the perfect leader for these men and women. I hoped he wasn't planning on replacing himself with me, because I'd have the building going up in flames within the first five minutes of being in charge.

"Do you have any encouraging words or tips for this portion of the Pack's first mission, Phoenix?" Damien asked.

"Um, yes," I replied while taking the microphone. "I've only ever gone on missions alone, so the only thing I can tell you as a team is work together and cooperate. Fight hard, be brave, and channel your emotions to work for you."

My little speech ended and the crowd erupted in cheers and whoops. I was glad I was only famous as the Phoenix, because I would have died from the attention if I was famous as Cali Icarus as well.

"The Phoenix and I are going to Capital City now. Your captains will receive a message from me when you are to teleport to the base after we break in. Good luck, and have fun!" Damien finished and walked off the stage with me close behind.

"So, you're going to teleport right outside of the base, and I'll fly there and meet up with you?" I asked Damien quietly when we were backstage.

He shook his head. "No, that'll take too long. We're both teleporting."

"But I don't have a teleporter watch."

"You do now." Damien tossed me a metallic watch he had retrieved from his pocket. I couldn't help but smile.

"Thanks," I muttered as I secured the watch around my wrist.

"Not a problem at all. You just pinpoint where you want to go on the map on the screen, press 'transport', and boom! You're there."

I pressed a point on the map that was just outside of the Capital City military base and told Damien I was ready. We both pressed 'transport' at the same time and in a matter of seconds, we were at our destination.

"You remember the plan?" Damien murmured as he prepared to pull a black wolf mask over his head.

I nodded and adjusted my mask and wings. I felt Damien's hand gently grab my chin and turn my head to face him.

"Listen, Cali," he murmured softly yet seriously, "be safe. The last thing I need is for you to die on your first mission with the Pack. You'll be their main target, so stay focused. The Pack and I will be watching your back."

I scoffed quietly, "I've been around the block a couple of times. But yes, I'll stay focused."

Then he did something that completely unfocused me. He lifted my mask and kissed me. It was a small, gentle brush against my lips, as though he feared he would break me if he wasn't careful.

"In case I'm not focused and die fighting," he whispered as he pulled away.

Then he stepped back and pulled his mask over his face, smirking at my shocked expression. He drew his rifle-like electric-orb launcher and began creeping across the street. I shook away my confusion and did the same, quietly loading my handheld fire-orb launcher as I followed Damien.

Certain traits he had began to come to my attention as I became unfocused on the mission. The way he held himself, even when we were slipping through the shadows, he had an air of pride around him. His muscles were tense enough that I could see them under his sleeves...

Damien fired an electrical orb at one of the patrolling guards and snapped me out of my stupor. The guard collapsed, shuddering from the electricity. I looked around and saw another guard and fired a fire-orb at the guard's legs. The guard's clothes were quickly up in flames.

I quickly beat my wings and shot across the street, capturing the guard before he could escape. The fire had gone out and I persuaded the guard not to call for back up.

"Nice, Metal Girl," Damien said quietly after catching up with me.

"Please don't call me that. I'd like a nickname that didn't refer to being partially not real," I muttered while glancing over the now unconscious guard.

"Alright, what about Angel?" he asked. I almost choked on my surprise, but I quickly recovered, glad that there was a mask to cover my blush-filled human cheek.

"Fine, but we can worry about nicknames later. We've still got a mission to focus on. And speaking of focusing," I said while preparing my ultra-strength laser to cut a hole in the concrete wall in front of us, "that little kiss back there did the exact opposite of focus me."

"Well, would you rather have had me die before knowing how I feel strangely attracted to you even though we barely know each other?" Damien asked.

"Um, well, no," I stuttered.

"Then stop complaining, tell me what your feelings are, then get back to work," his voice bordered on being too loud.

"Okay, okay, just keep your voice down," I said while turning around to face him and pulling my mask off so he could see my expression. "I feel oddly similar to how you feel; attracted to you even though I don't know you very well. Happy?"

He lifted his mask and I saw a content smile on his lips. He pulled me close to him and whispered, "Very."

For some odd reason, I wanted him to kiss me again. The first kiss hadn't satisfied me. But a loud click distracted us.

"The laser is ready," I murmured, disappointed. Damien released me and pulled his mask back down. I did the same and began cutting away at the concrete.

I felt a strange longing to be back in his arms again, to be safe and content.

But we had a big fight ahead of us, and now was not the time to be careless about our surroundings. Damien's words from after his first kiss hit me: "In case I'm not focused and die fighting."

I would not let him die. Nor would I let myself die. I had too much to live for.

AN:

Wahoo!!! Chapter ten is here! *throws confetti in celebration* (I always celebrate when I reach a milestone: every ten chapters.) I want to thank all my readers, especially you reading this right now. I also want to thank the Lindor chocolate company for creating great chocolate to get me through all of my writing! It was kind of a long chapter, but it was a really good one! I hope you enjoyed the chapter (and its romance), if you did, feel free to vote and comment, and I'll see you in the next chapter!

DAYdreamer61401

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

182K 19K 75
Book Four in the Expiring Series
5.9K 246 200
Author:Shen Tianyi, 神天衣 Alternative names:TLE, 领主之兵伐天下 Genre:Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Harem, Martial Arts, Wuxia Source:Gravity Tales Status:Ongoi...
11.8K 285 42
My sister and I have been waiting, I fear our parents will never come. What did come was a droid, and along with it came an adventure, a war between...