Chapter 19

I won't bore you with the details of the Presiprimo's defeat; he was very weak when it came to handing over his country. After his surrender, I gave the order for him and his wife to be killed. Why should I show mercy to a tyrant? Though, I allowed Jaxom to keep his life. I found him entertaining.

I sent out a video message to the entire USaCoA, explaining the leaders' fall, crowning myself queen and rallying the troops to begin my world domination. Then I ordered Damien to lead the USaCoA troops and the Pack into battle against the rest of the world.

"Mother will be so proud of me," I said to Damien as I marched through the halls of the Palace, my Palace. My new black heels clacked on the stone floor, my glittering red, orange, and black dress swept around me, and the Presiprimo's crown sat firmly on my head. But there was an uncertain look on Damien's face.

"Are you sure? It seems to me like you're turning into the bad guy here," Damien muttered.

I stopped dead in my tracks and whirled towards him. "What do you mean by that, Damien?"

Damien's face went completely pale. "Um, well, you never said you were going to kill the Presiprimo and, er, you're becoming the very thing you tried to get rid of—a dictator."

My face flushed in anger. "Do I have to run everything I do by you? I'm sorry; I didn't realize I'm still a five year old who needs a babysitter! I can be whatever kind of ruler I see fit, because no one will stop me. The Presiprimo is dead and no one else dares to challenge the Phoenix!"

"Except me," Damien said; realization and determination covering his fear.

My eyes widened and tears sprang from them. Then I felt a great weight in my chest, like my heart turning to stone. "Betrayal of your queen is punishable by death. Do you wish to rethink your decision or have a bullet put through your head?!"

Damien gulped and his fear returned. "I'll rethink my decision."

"Your Majesty," I said, glaring at who I had thought to be my boyfriend.

"Your Majesty," he said, bowing his head.

"Much better. Now, let's not keep the troops waiting!" I forged ahead to hide my fear. What fear? The fear of myself.

The rest of the day was a blur. All I could think about was what was I doing?

I'm running this country the way it should be run, I told myself.

Really? Is this really the right way to do this?

Of course! This is what you've always wanted!

No, all I've ever wanted was to be accepted. Damien gave me that, and I'm driving him away!

HE'S betraying YOU! Keep your priorities straight! You've got a country to lead, a world to conquer, and a long lost mother to impress! You can't worry about Damien!

But he worries about me...

My mind was split, bantering back and forth, right and wrong, emotions and thoughts, good and bad. Human and monster.

Monster. What a perfectly hideous word for a perfectly hideous thing.

That night, as I attempted to fall asleep in my new giant bed, I asked myself, is a phoenix a monster?

It is an unnatural, mythological creature, but does that make it a monster?

Is the Phoenix a monster?

I guess it all depends on what it does: good things or bad things.

Bad things: monster, good things: not a monster.

Am I doing good things or bad things? Am I a monster?