Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I paced in my bedroom while waiting for Damien to arrive. I'd never been on a date before, much less a date with someone I barely knew.

Plus, Damien could've been the enemy.

My heart raced as the time of his arrival neared. I ran through my escape maneuvers in my head in case Damien did turn out to be a threat. I changed my mind about bringing my wings and mask. I packed them into a small bag along with my wallet and some tools to help me fix the small amounts of makeup I had on, if it got messed up.

Finally, I heard the sound of a hover-car pulling up in front of our house. I sucked in a breath, gathered my things, and scurried out of my room. Once I was downstairs, I called up to my mother. She was in her studio showing my younger sister how to stitch up my brother's ripped jeans.

"Mom! I'm going out!" I tried to keep the fear out of my voice, but some of it slipped into my yell.

"Okay, dear! Have fun!" My mom called. My father had gone out to the market to do some shopping for my mother since she was too lazy to do it herself.

I opened the front door to find a well-dressed, very handsome Damien standing in front of me. He had his fist poised to knock, but I beat him to it. He glanced over my outfit, curled hair, and small amount of makeup and smiled.

"You look great," he said. It was such a simple phrase but it was enough to make the blood rush to my one human cheek and my heart skip a beat.

I glanced over his outfit. "I could say the same for you."A simple military uniform adorned his frame, but it was obviously not his most formal one. Despite this, he was still as handsome as ever.

"Why thank you, my dear," he said while we walked to his hover-car. I bit back a defensive remark about how little of a dear I could be. His hover-car was a sleek, bronze car that hovered a few feet off the ground. All government officers had bronze vehicles to set them apart.

Damien opened the passenger door and helped me climb in. I sat down on the plush seat that was almost too comfortable for my liking. Damien closed my door and went around to the driver's side. He hopped in and drove off to our destination.

It was quiet for a while, but the silence quickly became awkward. It shattered it.

"So, where are we going?" I asked while fiddling with my skirt. Damien didn't glance at me, but a sly smile appeared on his face.

"To a place that has the best food in the world," he said. I hoped he wasn't going to make me guess where we were going.

"I've been to a lot of great restaurants, would you mind telling me the exact place?" I let a little bit of sarcastic anger slip into my voice. A short, low chuckle was Damien's response.

"Yes, I do mind. You'll just have to wait till we get there," Damien said as he glanced over at me. A joking gleam was in his dark eyes. I rolled my eyes and let out an "angry" huff. This time, I got an actual laugh out of Damien and I couldn't help but laugh as well.

"You're beautiful when you laugh," Damien said while focusing his attention back onto the road ahead. Blush furiously filled my human cheek and alerts appeared in my cyborg eye telling me of raised heart rate. I dismissed them and tried to figure out what to say.

"Thanks," was all I could think of. A small smile spread on my lips as I thought about how pathetic I sounded.

"Is this your first date?" Damien asked, as he noticed my discomfort.

"Yes, and yours?" I wondered. It couldn't have been his first date, he was too calm.

"My third, actually," he said. Aha, I thought, now let's see what else the enemy will tell me.

"Oh, really? I bet the other two weren't with cyborgs," I commented, trying to decipher his exact feelings towards the "beasts".

"No, they weren't. My mom had actually set up one of the dates. The other one I had willingly asked the same girl out on," he said, not missing a beat.

"Ah. So what does your mother think of this?" I asked, referring to myself and the date.

"She isn't the fondest of cyborgs, but she doesn't beat them to death on a daily basis."

"Ah, I see," was all I could say. I didn't want to seem pushy.

"Here we are," Damien said as we pulled into the parking lot of a small building. A holographic sign in front of the building read America's Finest. I had heard of that place from customers at my shop. They had said it was the best restaurant in the country.

A delicious scent wafted into my nostrils as we walked into the building. We were greeted instantly by a waitress android and taken to a quiet table for two. We ordered our dinner and shared several conversations. The food was divine. I enjoyed every part of the delicious steak I had ordered. Once we finished, Damien paid the bill and we went back to his car with full stomachs.

We climbed into his car, but he didn't start it. Instead he looked over at me and smiled. Then he confirmed my worst fears.

"The Phoenix is a lot friendlier in person. Maybe it won't be so hard to get you to join us."

AN:

Don't you just LOVE cliffhangers? Sorry it took me so long to get this chapter up, but I've been really busy lately. I've got some time off this week, so another chapter should be up later today or tomorrow. You know what the picture is, but if you don't feel free to ask, via the comments. Also, feel free to comment in general! I can always use the input. I hope you enjoyed, and until the next chapter,

DAYdreamer61401